Author Topic: Kimlik  (Read 2964 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Kimlik
« on: September 08, 2009, 21:09:26 PM »
Is it the case that if you apply for and get your Kimlik then you forego your right to a British pension when the time arises?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Kimlik
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 21:20:37 PM »
I don't think so, you are taking on dual nationality, you are still as British as you were before  :) They wouldn't know anyway  ;)

Offline sunnyd

Kimlik
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
When you receive a Kimlik this is only recorded in Turkey. As Scunner says you take on dual nationality, the UK know nothing about it...... unless you tell them.

Offline Harmless

Kimlik
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 13:13:39 PM »
Even if you do tell the British Government, it would make no odds unless you actually wanted to renounce your British Citizenship.  However, if you receive your kimlik, then when you are in Turkey, you would be considered a Turkish National and be bound by Turkish Law and regulations.  You would not be offically treated as a foreign guest. (I think)

Offline starman™

Kimlik
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 14:27:10 PM »
True and the British consulate will do Jack to help you if you found yourself in a situation, one of he main reason I have never gone for citizenship.

Offline chewyturk

Kimlik
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 14:46:55 PM »
...and if you're male and under 41yrs old you have to do your national service!!

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Kimlik
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 17:31:31 PM »
Also, if your British Passport expires try getting out of Turkey.  

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Kimlik
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 20:38:34 PM »
if your uk passport expires just get a new one.!!

Offline Harmless

Kimlik
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
Yes, that is what all my household do, we hold Turkish Nationality, but, do not have Turkish passports as they cost a fortune and we don't feel to hold two passports is necessary.  The consulate here is really helpful and even phone you when your new passport is received by them.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Kimlik
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 19:18:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mercury

Is it the case that if you apply for and get your Kimlik then you forego your right to a British pension when the time arises?

If you tell whoever you would tell in the UK that you reside in Turkey your state pension will no longer be eligible for the annual cost of living rises. You still get a pension but it will be frozen at that point.

If you still have an address in the UK and you don't tell who ever you would tell that you don't live in the Uk you should be ok.

However if you have your State Pension paid to you over here as some people do then I think they would know.

Also if you have a Private Pension you are supposed to tell them if you no longer reside in the UK because it affects your policy. I don't know how, but I'll bet it's not in your best interest.

There were changes to the State Pension Scheme a few years ago; all the information can be found online on govt web sites.

Hope this was helpful

Nichola

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf