Author Topic: An insight into Turkeys Visa Policy  (Read 4604 times)

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
An insight into Turkeys Visa Policy
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:42:32 AM »
The daily Hurriyet Economic news carries an interesting article on Turkeys attitude to current visa policy.This article is by a major contributor none other than the Director of the european Union Institute think tank based in Ankara. Also followed by a number of reader views and opinions

Offline Eric

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Do you want to give us a link? I can't find it

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 14:07:20 PM »
Hi Eric,Sorry just spent the last Hour trying to find it.No joy,I noted the title of the individual but not his name so search comes up negative.Dont know if the article was pulled?It was refering to the recent practice by the government of removing visa for virtualy all states on the eastern borders including what the eu would include as eastern europe up to and including Russia.All of these states have  large muslim populations.It then refers to Turkeys negotiations with the EU for membership and points out that a certain amount of egg will be on their face if the eu deal improves as these visas would have to be re introduced for border controls to satisfy the shengen agreement etc etc.So who is playing games and who is bluffing.Sorry will take more notice before posting similar info in future. It does rather make a point as to who might take up take up the slack as it were if brits and other europeans were constrained with visa costs, with the possible exception that the german community enjoys.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 15:29:28 PM »
is is possible to check your user history to find it. I would be interested to read this  :)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 15:48:25 PM »
I think this may be it - but after speed reading I concluded it would be helpful if one of you three explained it to me???

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/97806/-opinion-turkey-39-s-visa-policy-has-turkey-given-up-its-demand-of-free-movement-in-the-eu.html

Ian

Offline col

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 16:23:59 PM »

Whatever it may mean, I think in the short term, we can guess who will be funding the revenue lost from the countries who now have thier visa restrictions lifted.......us Brits.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I think this may be it - but after speed reading I concluded it would be helpful if one of you three explained it to me???

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/97806/-opinion-turkey-39-s-visa-policy-has-turkey-given-up-its-demand-of-free-movement-in-the-eu.html

Ian

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 16:29:18 PM »
After wading through the article I would offer the following observations;

1.  This Turkish Government is trying to align itself more to Middle Eastern Countries
2.  The same Government is either not committed to joining the EU, or does not think it will gain membership.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 16:34:15 PM »
What it means is, in my opinion, that someone Turkish in Turkey sees how at odds their entry visa system is with their great desire to join the border free world of the EU. Further irony is drawn from the fact that non-European countries such as Russia, Libya and so on are having visa charges for their citizens scrapped.

Turkey is a country that wants to become part of the EU, but charges EU citizens to cross its border. A country that wants inclusion into the EU freedom of movement of labour, but refuses to allow non-citizens to work. The country that wants to be part of the single market, but charges something like 40% import duty/"luxury tax" on foreign cheese. If cheese is a luxury, that explains the enormous taxes on luxuries like cars and imported electrical goods.

Nilgün Arisan Eralp for President  :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 17:20:37 PM »
The article is saying an assessment of this apparently condratictory situation needs to be carried out.

I think Turkey is hedging its bets and it doesn't seem so focused on EU membership as it once was in the earlier days of this govt. Maybe this is really a cunning plan to deliberately jeopardise accession talks with Europe.

This sort of thing is great for European countries who don't want Turkey in the EU to grind down accession talks even more.

I wonder if this is more to do with Turkey accessing new export markets and developing new trade agreements which are currently denied to Turkey in Europe.

Offline brianthegardener

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 17:21:35 PM »
I agree with you Eric...i also believe the "ordinary man/lady of Turkiye" doesnt want to go towards Europe either...im sure that in my life time ....Turkiye wont gain a European Status...unless it changes its attitude and views a lot.!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf