Author Topic: Subsidance a Big Problem In Calis...?  (Read 4648 times)

Offline MarkPatterson

Subsidance a Big Problem In Calis...?
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:29:01 AM »
Hi folks,

I just posted on the inroduction forum. I'm a newbie.

Me and the wife have seen an apartment in Calis for which they're asking £27,000. It had been reduced from £35,000. According to the estate agent they reduced it as property is slow and there are few buyers out there. So sounds a bargain except the complex did have subsidence in the last 4 years so I'm a bit concerned it could happen again. Anyone know much anout subsidance problems in Calis? I have had varying reports but the main concencus seems to be that Calis is prone to it as its built on swampland. Is this correct?

We particurly wanted the Calis area as its flat and easy to walk around, my wife has mobility problems. So we can't look at Ovacik etc due to all the hills.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give us.

Thanks guys

Mark

Offline philrose

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »
Whereabouts in Calis is the apartment?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »
Calis or the Calis area?

If you confirm where the apartment is that will help. It is not a "big problem" in Calis at all. That said, if there was such a problem with an apartment, correcting it (or more to the point getting everyone in the block to cough up their share of the cost) would probably be the mother of all nightmares. For that reason I'd advise great caution.

Of course there is a decent chance that it is fine, and someone needs to get it sold - I understand the market is slow for some  8)

Offline MarkPatterson

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 15:28:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks.

Its situated just a few minutes walk to the beach in Koca Calis which is what attracted us to it in the first instance. Its actually a semi detached villa but as it only has two beds it feels more like an apartment really. We took a long look around the area and took a few drives too and felt it was just what we were looking for. Its not the prettiest of areas I guess but its close to the beach which we really like and need.

Just concerned about the subsidance really.

Cheers guys

Mark

Offline tonysue

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 16:15:47 PM »
We looked at Koca Calis a few years ago. My husband also has mobility problems so we decided against it for a few main reason. There was no dolmus service then and very few amenities- shops , restaurants etc. As we would not have a car it would have been too much of a slogg into Calis and cost a lot on taxi fares. The second reason was the area is given to flooding in the winter on some complexes. There were threads and pics on this forum under the Koca Calis section during the  winter of 2008 which would break your heart. Not all complexes were effected but I would make sure the property you are looking at wasnt one of them.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 16:53:06 PM »
When we decided to buy five years ago, we knew very little of the area.  The English lady in the Estate Agents  looked at the list of properties we were being taken to view and told us
not to looked at Koca Calis because it was built on a swamp and also had a mosquito problem.   We took her advise and bought in Calis.
We are very happy with our property, however, there seem to be lots of people on this Forum living in Koca Calis and really enjoying the place with no problems, there also seems to be a good community spirit there.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 21:17:45 PM »
I have a villa in Koca Calis,there is only 1 apartment block that i know of with subcidence  problems.

We bought in 2003 and have been very happy there.

Where is this apartment you are looking to buy.
If you would like any further info please email me.

Ron

Offline DANKY

• Never red
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 22:41:36 PM »
Koca Calis is the Marmite of the Area, you either love it or hate it i love the peace and quite after working in London  and traveling on a crowded tube train  daily that Animals would not be allowed to travel in,so  i am more than  happy to have a bit of tranquility in a semi rural area that still  has lots of very friendly people near by should you need Anything

As for the subsidence if you are  thinking of buying an established property i would have thought that it would have shown signs of sinking by now as in the past the area has in parts been subject to severe flooding, but this has started to  improve the last couple of years by  the outlets to the sea being cleared  Etc

Best to say where the Villa is  Mark and i am sure there will be someone on here who will be able to advise you of weather or not that part of Koca is subject to winter flooding

good luck in what ever you decide

Danky

Offline tony

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 19:14:42 PM »
I would have thought what with global warming hence ice caps melting, flooding would be the biggest concern when considering a property in Calis. Best off with a first no make it a second floor apartment.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 19:23:32 PM »
Hilarious

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf