Author Topic: "Dolphinarium plans create major protest"  (Read 238450 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
"Dolphinarium plans create major protest"
« on: March 18, 2010, 23:23:12 PM »
Opposition to the construction of a dolphinarium in southwestern Turkey is mounting, leading concerned residents to hope that plans for the new facility may be permanently shelved.

Locals established a Facebook group called "Free the Ölüdeniz dolphins" on March 12 and the number of supporters has surpassed 2,000.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=-2010-03-18

Offline cheers

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 23:42:19 PM »
Hopefully we are getting there on this!!

Some of the comments are ludicrous - the worst one for me was that the dolphins would be kept inkeeping with Europen standards.

DOLPHINS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE KEPT IN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE!!

The excuses are coming out but hopefully we will stop the building of this before it is finished.  

I have e mailed various hotels in the Calis/Fethiye area and have received replies.  Not one person has replied saying that they welcome this business in the area!!

Lets keep going!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 00:00:08 AM »
Salih Taşçi, head of the Fethiye branch of the Turkish Association of Travel Agencies, or TÜRSAB:

"Although we think the dolphinarium is good, this is only from a business perspective in attracting more tourists to the area".

Yeah we guessed that much...

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 00:01:46 AM »
Salih Taşçi, head of the Fethiye branch of the Turkish Association of Travel Agencies said...

Although we think the dolphinarium is good, this is only from a business perspective in attracting more tourists to the area. We are now, however, aware that the standards of the Hisarönü pool may not be suitable for the well being of the dolphins. We are concerned that the pool is too small for these animals, too close to discos with loud music, and we are not sure about the quality of water,"

This is the beginning of positive changes in attitudes - not there yet mind but education and raising awareness is the first step to bringing about change... we're doing this!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 00:09:25 AM »
Yes, but it shows what the original reaction was. It wasn't to request information to ensure nothing was planned that may blight the perception of the area. It was a good old rubbing of hands at the prospect of extra money coming into town.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 00:20:47 AM »
Absolutely agree with you - I doubt any real thought went into this; just sounded like a good money making scheme at the time...

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 00:24:25 AM »
There's a post on FB saying the concreting has stopped today - not sure if or how this is significant but expecting a follow up report tomorrow!

Offline cheers

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 00:48:22 AM »

Exactly Nichola! As from my earlier posts they saw "Ching, Ching" didn't even think about the conditions the dolphins would be kept in.  Hopefully with the bad press which is going around, the protests, e mails, petitions not only in Turkey and England but now in Europe this will be stopped!!  I and many others wouldn't have known about this if we didn't have CBF and it had not been highlighted by SCUNNER

We should all give a thumbs up to Scunner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why was not a discussion held in the surrounding area by all the authorities involved to get the views not only from local hotels, Turkish, English local businesses, holiday companies, wildlife consevation etc before this project was even considered??

I had e mailed various hotels and friends that I have stayed in or know in Calis to view their opinions and all replies have been the same!  We do not want this!

[/quote]

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:06:59 AM »
The article in the Hurriyet says that the reason for the dolphinarium is to attract tourists. Local people want tourism here in order to make a living and need to bring business to the area.

Why not do what is suggested at the end of the article in the Hurriyet newspaper and build some sort of good quality sports facility, using some foreign investment if necessary to raise the funds.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:11:28 AM by Daffodil »

Offline kaptainkrunchie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
The worrying thing is the statement that the mayor is determined to carry on with this project!!

Does he not listen to public opinion.

I have just tried to post on Holiday Truths website but it will not let me add links as I have insufficient posts. Anyone help out??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf