Author Topic: Price of residency  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Price of residency
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »
The whole residency process seems to be in total chaos. When we applied to Mugla for 5 year residency it was from the date of our tourist visa was issued while others who have applied to Mugla have got it from the date of application or from the date of the end of the tourist visa. It seems to be that individuals working in the responsible department in Mugla apply their own interpretation of the law

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Price of residency
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
The application process is (or certainly was) ridiculous too. When I went to get mine extended I had someone to take me to all the various places where stamps and signatures were needed and there was so many it seemed daft. A man who worked in an office across the road from the marina which was something to do with yachts has to fill in a form that you need for your application. Then I recall having to go to the police station (probably, my memory is vague due to the intense tedium of the day) where, after climbing one million steps in 50 degree heat a woman stamps your form. You then have to go off somewhere else at the other end of town to get some other bod to stamp you form, then back to the police station, up all the stairs to get your form signed by the same woman!!!

I remember wishing I knew the Turkish for "Couldn't I just have gone to the other bloke first and you do your two stamps at the same time afterwards?". It's so frustrating and illogical it is funny. If you can't draw humour from it you'll end up throwing yourself out the window :D

Offline Julesp

Price of residency
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 13:48:24 PM »
Cant say Im looking forward to it But it is for one day out of 3 years, as I am applying for a 3 year visa again, better than having to do a visa run 4 or 5 times in a year, I think.

Offline starman™

Price of residency
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 14:23:12 PM »
visa or permit?

Offline Julesp

Price of residency
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 16:53:24 PM »
Sorry meant a permit i need renewing

Offline corbindallas

Price of residency
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
I just also want to add my say on the legal verses illegal comments posted regarding resident permits and tourist visa, if it is illegal why for years have the passport police allowed it without restriction consecutivley, why do they run the tourist visa as a service in Meis you do not even take your passport in person to the passport police there the boat captain does this for you! Why is it advertised openly as a service between Turkey and Meis/Rhodes visa trips etc. I understand that a lot of people are conned into believing that the resident permit system is recipocal but it is not so therefore if there is a loop hole to cut out the high very unfair charges to UK citizens especially compared with other European countries then go for it! I do have a resident permit because I need one for importation, but if it weren't for this I will be using the tourist visa at £60 for trip and visa for the Fethiye to Rhodes trip for 90 days compared to £90.83 not including the initial set up fee charges.I have a infant as well who travels free on either the Rhodes or Meis trip's but with a resident permit will/is charged half the adult price for a resident permit, so even more incentive towards a tourist visa rather than a resident permit.I note a 10 year visa to foriegn nationals staying in the UK costs £610 and a 5 year one in Turkey for UK residents is £1810.[?]

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Price of residency
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
The simple answer is it's TIT (This Is Turkey) Syndrome and it keeps a lot of Turks employed.

Offline mrkeith

Price of residency
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

The application process is (or certainly was) ridiculous too. When I went to get mine extended I had someone to take me to all the various places where stamps and signatures were needed and there was so many it seemed daft. A man who worked in an office across the road from the marina which was something to do with yachts has to fill in a form that you need for your application. Then I recall having to go to the police station (probably, my memory is vague due to the intense tedium of the day) where, after climbing one million steps in 50 degree heat a woman stamps your form. You then have to go off somewhere else at the other end of town to get some other bod to stamp you form, then back to the police station, up all the stairs to get your form signed by the same woman!!!

I remember wishing I knew the Turkish for "Couldn't I just have gone to the other bloke first and you do your two stamps at the same time afterwards?". It's so frustrating and illogical it is funny. If you can't draw humour from it you'll end up throwing yourself out the window :D

You dont hae to do that now you only have to go once to the police and she is sitting downstairs now.
Also you don't have to go to the post office to pay for the blue book for first time RP's you pay at the passport police office when you put your forms in.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Price of residency
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 10:02:06 AM »

quote:
I note a 10 year visa to foriegn nationals staying in the UK costs £610 and a 5 year one in Turkey for UK residents is £1810.

As I posted the other day on another thread, The £610 is for a visa not residency and with the 10 year visa a vistor can only stay in the UK 180 days (6 months) in any 12 month period. Does this system seem familiar, like, what Turkey has tried to do with their visa system.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Price of residency
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »
The UK system works. Multiple entry for 6 months out of 12 allows easy access for people who regularly attend UK exhibitions or do regular business in the UK. This is good for the UK. The difference is that you don't get a few signatures and official stamps for a guaranteed acceptance, you initially have to jump through hoops to even get considered and then more hoops before any visa is issued. There is no "sticker at the airport" alternative for entry to the UK and the people using visas dare not overstay as they would not be attending any exhibitions for a very long time.

The application system for Turks wanting to visit the UK is intrusive, some say the process and interviews are aggressive and even degrading, it generally involves travel and overnight stays in Istanbul and has absolutely no guarantee after all that of obtaining a visa. We get a few signatures and stamps and the blue book is pretty much guaranteed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf