Author Topic: Relief as visa rules changes shelved!  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Linda

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Relief as visa rules changes shelved!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 16:31:06 PM »
As sunnyd correctly points out there has been no shelving of rule changes. You still need residency to live on a permanent basis in Turkey.

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 19:08:41 PM »
Keith, this isn't a topic that concerns me but might in the future. Do you have a link to a site that gives the actual rules you refer to ?  In the UK, residency rules are not simple and one of the factors is the number of days you are actually in the UK. Thanks, Tom

Offline Julesp

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 19:47:11 PM »
TOURIST VISA FOR UK PASSPORT HOLDERS  OR UK TRAVEL DOCUMENTS
If you are a British Citizen you   can obtain tourist visa either at the port of entry in Turkey for £10.00 or from this Consulate General for £ 68.00.  

The sticker visa obtained  at the port of entry in Turkey will grant you 90 days stay with multiple entry to Turkey  starting from the date of issue. (eg: the sticker visa  issued on 5 May 2010 expires on  2 August 2010).

British National Overseas, British Subject  and British Protected Person passport holders are not issued  sticker  type of visa at the port of entry  in Turkey.  They should obtain their visas  from this Consulate General before traveling.

If you are not a British passport holder; yet you have a  travel document (not Certificate of Identity) issued by the Home Office of the UK, you need to obtain visa before traveling to Turkey. For more information on what a travel document issued by the UK is and upon what basis it can be issued, please see  "http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk"

Please note: tourist visas do not give you the right to take up paid or unpaid employment or to reside, or to study (including student exchange program) or to establish yourself in business in Turkey.

Taken from here

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.asp?PageID=2#2

Offline Linda

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 19:54:24 PM »
The 'shelving' is the current situation as a result of the enforced changes that were announced without any notice and then withdrawn!Many people such as myself have lived here legally / 'illegally' for the past 4 years. I dont consider myself a criminal as i have abided by the rules and regulations. If I have got off an a technicality so be it but I am still here legally and have not required a resident permit to live here for the past 4 years. If the systam changes I am perfectly willing to purchase one but I have done nothing wrong ..

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 20:02:50 PM »
If you accept the above transcript and you are residing here on a tourist visa you are doing so illegally. You are breaking the law and are technically committing an offence....the fact that you have not been penalised YET is just fortunate for you and many hundreds of others :)

Offline Julesp

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 22:36:57 PM »
Residing here on a tourist visa has always been illegal. Fact. Nothing to do with the tourist visa changes. Just the Turks being lax in enforcing the law

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:40:09 AM »
Linda, you have lived in Turkey for the last 4 years on a tourist visa........ you are not a tourist then, so you have been living here illegally in the eyes of the law. The rules have always been the same, if you are a tourist you can come in on a tourist visa. If you live here you need to have a residency visa. Lots of people 'have got away with it' for many years only because the law has not been enforced properly. Then when they decide to start enforcing a law that has been around for many years everyone argues. The British ambassador should not have got involved with that fact, he should have directed his ambassador skills to the cost of the residency visa.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 17:42:25 PM »
Plus I read this today:

State health provision. As of Oct 1st 2010, all residents must have National Health Insurance. There is a monthly cost that varies dependent on age/circumstances etc, but basic cost on today's figures are 182 TL a month which covers self, spouse and children. Considerably less than private insurance with generally more services on offer.

Offline Dizzy Jan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
Stoop I could not find the article mentioning this on the site you posted. Please can you point me in the right direction. This seems very silly as the only way they will be able to do this is to connect it to the residency. So do we all go illegal and buy visa which they want to stop. I cannot believe that they are expecting us to pay 2184yl a year as well as the high residency or was this the plan when they tried to enforce the law?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf