Author Topic: Relief as visa rules changes shelved!  (Read 7819 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Relief as visa rules changes shelved!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:09:06 AM »
There is a thread on the forum but this link is what they are actually discussing. Reading it it seems you either have to have private medical insurance or join the state scheme:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=attention-to-this-date-2010-08-05

Offline starman™

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
I have found this site.
http://www.aksam.com.tr/2010/08/08/yazar/18344/metin_tas_sezgin_ozcan_/genel_saglik_sigortasi_uygulamasinda_1_ekim_de_ne_degisiyor_.html

If you have NI back in England then it should not count and if you have private medical insurance then you dont need to pay.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
If you live permanently outside the UK you are not covered by NI any longer and you are not able to get NHS treatment in Turkey or the UK as technically you should inform your GP and be taken off the NHS register.

As far as I now Turkey does not have a reciprocal health agreement with the UK has it?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
Found this - a full translated copy of the Turkish Health System. Article 60 is way down the page and says this:

Individuals who are deemed to be holders of universal health insurance
ARTICLE 60 - (Amended: 17/4/2008 - 5754/38th Art.)

d) provided that principle of reciprocity is also taken into consideration, individuals of foreign countries who have residence
permit and are not insurance holders under legislation of a foreign country.

Here's the link - opens in adobe:

http://www.sgk.gov.tr/wps/wcm/connect/33ce7a004e3dc906abe6bbaab16de75f/SOCIAL_INSURANCE_AND_UNIVERSAL_HEALTH_INSURNCE_LAW.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Happy reading  :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:55:58 AM by stoop »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
Not sure what this means to those on tourist visas? OK they are still technically covered in the UK but this isn't much use if you need emergency treatment in Turkey. So - as they are not residents they cannot apply for Turkish Health Care. Travel insurance is a big no-no as it normally only covers you for 30 days maximum (and I guess they would wriggle out anyway if they found you have been 'living' in another country). Private medical insurance might be an option but it's costly and how many have it?

S0 - you go to the hospital and they ask if you are a tourist or resident. What do you say? Will you get free treatment in the future?

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »

I read it as people who work need to have it if they are not covered by their own country.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
Reading it again Baz it does seem to be aimed at those who work. However it still begs the question - what do non-working expats do for health care? Does Turkey give out free health care or do you need some form of private health insurance?

Offline starman™

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
All places that employ foreigners pay SSK anyway and have always had to. My company has been paying mine for the last 7 years.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »
Once again the gobbldegook is virtually impossible to understand and seemingly can and is being being interpreted in different ways so do we do like the visa/residence fiasco and wait until it is shelved[?]

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »
Probably Brian - but this one probably won't be 'shelved' as the British Consulate have said they will not get involved.

Seems it will be another 'suck it and see' Turkish law change. Hopefully Baz is correct and it's only workers.

I still wonder about health care for ex-pats in Turkey though. Maybe a topic for another thread?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf