Author Topic: anti dote for scorpion bites  (Read 2612 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
anti dote for scorpion bites
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:55:14 AM »
I only have this info third hand so apologies in advance if I have any details wrong and I don't personally know the person concerned either so I won't name them.

Some one recently died here from a wrongly diagnosed bite. It turned out to be a Scorpion bite.

The ONLY place locally that stocks the antidote is at the DEVLET (Govt) hospital.

This is important because valuable time is lost if you go to the Drs or the private hospitals. In this case the delay was fatal.

I believe this also applies to snake bites as well.

The Devlet hospital is next to the Magistrates Court. Its past Tansas on the way to Calis on the right hand side of the road.

Offline cinders

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:10 AM »
Thanks for that nichola, valuable information when speed is of the essence [ :)

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »
In Uzumlu they hold snake bite and scorpion sting antidote in the local clinic.  Probably because a lot of the locals would not be able to get to the Devlet fast enough.  I should imagine this will apply to most rural villages, best to check your local clinic before you need it.  The smaller scorpions, about the size of a thumbnail, are the most poisonous.  The larger ones, 2-3inches long look nasty but are less venomous. An Uzumlu local, who has done some work for us in the past, has been stung twice by scorpions in the past, one on the arm and one on the leg.  He said it was very painful and his leg and arm were very swollen for about 2-3 days.  They are like a very very bad wasp sting and are generally only fatal for very young children, very old adults or people with underlying medical problems such as heart problems or are allergic to insect stings (Anaphalactic Shock problem which has to be treated with an adrenaline injection as well as the antidote).  If you, or anyone staying with you, feel they are at risk the best thing to do is find out now if your local CLINIC, not Doctor, holds the antidote.  If not, then follow Nichola's advice and go straight to the Devlet Hospital.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:48:35 AM by Eric »

Offline feznut

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:33 AM »
DIY.... the chemists sell a needle pack which can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 months.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
I've been stung 3 times by scorpions. The first time put in me in the Esnaf hospital where I was treated for shock but didn't receive any anti-venom. Altough it happened over 5 years ago, I still get some pain in the finger where the nerves were damaged around the sting site. On the 2nd and 3rd ocassions I dealt with it myself but the pain still lasted for about 36 hours.

According to the doctor who treated me at the Esnaf, the size or colour of the local scorpions is irrelevant, it's the amount of venom that they manage to inject in realtion to your own body mass that makes the difference.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 13:04:16 PM »
Are you making a case for being fat?:D

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 13:57:36 PM »
pass that cream cake... ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 14:42:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tribalelder

Are you making a case for being fat?:D

Un-slim maybe. :D

Offline feznut

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 14:47:50 PM »
why do so many people think its fun and acceptable to take a good topic to something silly? no wonder the search dont work.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 15:37:15 PM »
That's rich, from the guy who thought someone's wife getting bitten by a street dog was something to laugh about - {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}37809

And the search works perfectly, you do have to know what you are doing though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf