Author Topic: Turkish Citizenship through Marriage  (Read 1904 times)

Offline caz35

Turkish Citizenship through Marriage
« on: April 12, 2011, 18:34:01 PM »
Hi all
Just wondered if anyone had recently applied and received their Turkish Kimlik, after being married to a Turk for 3 years?  I am due to get mine this summer and was told today that I needed to have a 6 month residency before I could even apply.  Just noticed the residency fees now reduced so this is now affordable if I have to get it, but wanted to know if this was normal procedure anyway and how you actually go about applying for your kimlik?
Thanks for any help
Caz

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 20:17:35 PM »
You do need to have a resident permit Caz and a year's permit might be a better bet because it can take that long...

Offline minimoo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:33:27 AM »
Yes I would definately get a year's permit. When I did the process in 2008, it took 9 months to complete everything. To start the Citizenship process, you need to go to Mugla with your paperwork originals and photocopies(Passport, residency, Marriage book,rental agreement or tapu,the family registration papers that you will get from the local Muhtar when you do your residency, and the names and contact details of 2 referees, who must be Turkish citizens and have known you for at least 2 years) You will also need your husband to go along with you as he will have to show his Kimlik. They should check your paperwork whilst you are there, and will submit it for you. A little while later, it's possible that you may have a home visit from the local Jandarma, so they can make sure you are living together as a married couple. You will also be called to the local Jandarma station to provide your fingerprints. They will do a police check to make sure you have not been in any trouble in Turkey. Sometime later, the office in Mugla will call you and give you a date for your interview.
Be prepared to wait a while when you go for interview, as they will give lots of people the same interview date and time. At the interview, firstly you will be called in by yourself, and asked a few questions, all in Turkish, and your replies should be in Turkish. My questions were mainly about our relationship (where and when we met etc) Then they will ask your husband to join you, and they will also ask him some questions. At the end of he interview, they will normally tell you if you have been successful or not. Then you need to go home and wait for your paperwork to arrive so you can pick up your kimlik. Mine took 4 months from the date of the interview.

Offline starman™

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 14:38:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by minimoo
 You will also need your husband to go along with you as he will have to show his Kimlik.

What happens if you dont have one of those at hand?

Offline caz35

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 19:31:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  Didn't realise it took so long.  When do you actually start the process as I will have been married 3 years this October.  Do I have to wait until then to even apply? Caz

Offline minimoo

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
Yes, the earliest you can apply is your 3rd wedding anniversary.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf