Author Topic: Very long Term rent!  (Read 1597 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Very long Term rent!
« on: July 06, 2011, 15:29:50 PM »
We are approaching that Magical day when they give me a crap Gold Watch or something else I dont want and usher me out of the door with platitudes of "come back and see us" and other things they dont mean! (No doubt many will mutter "thank God he has gone!"  :)

So, expensive and cold in UK, warm and less so in Calis/Fethiye.

Like many I guess decidinmg on what to do, downsize and accrue cash, buy in Calis and move there. Downsize and stay in UK.

But, wondering about another option! Particularly as we may retain our small ebay shop! Thinking, rents in Uk very good these days, nice 4 bed House to rent, should we rent out, move to Calis and rent there?

Anyone else done that? anyone else any idea of typical rents? We are not must haves, e.g must have pool, must be big, must be near beach etc. would be quite happy with small house with garden ideally, or small apartment even, quite happy in town or a liitle way out of town, even as far awayt as Kemer for example.

any ideas?

JT

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Very long Term rent!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 16:13:21 PM »
JT, I know a couple of people who have given up their homes in the UK and left them in the hands of a good quality estate agent who runs a property management company and are now renting in Calis. Now seems a good time to give it a try, not many are buying in the UK and so you will probably be able to find plenty of interest. You will probably be able to leave your house fully furnished which is also an attraction to some and often gets you a larger rental than an unfurnished proposition. You can also protect yourself by offering the rental on a six monthly contract with agreed termination or renewal period on both sides should you wish to return home if Calis does not suit you or in the very unlikely situation that you get sick of the place.

I think it would be highly unlikely that a small / medium long term rental in Calis / Fethiye or Uzumulu for instance will be more expensive than what you can achieve for a 4 bedroom property in the UK which leaves your pension to live on and that will definitely go further in Turkey than in the UK. Have a look at 'Properties for Rent' at your local estate agency, you may be surprised just how much they are going for.

This way you get the best of both worlds, you get to live in the nicer climate while keeping your asset in the UK. Should one of you get ill or even die then the opportunity to move back here to be nearer to family etc. is protected and maybe much easier than if you had sold up.

All in all this option sounds worth a try to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Very long Term rent!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 16:43:26 PM »
In the research I've done (very recently) I can let my 1 bedroom flat here in Brighton & even with paying the (small) mortgage & maintenance I can afford to rent a 2 bed in Calis from the profit I'll make. If you are mortgage free then I'm positive you will be able to rent yours & more than cover your rental costs in Calis area, probably even covering your other bills like maintenance, utilities etc which are way cheaper than the UK.

There are several other topics very similar to this running on the forum right now, have a good nose around, I think you are number 3 to ask a very similar question (me being 1 of the 3!) in the last month or so.

Land of Lights classified will give you a benchmark cost of rental, I placed a "wanted" ad on this forum & got at least 6 decent offers for a long term let, 1 of those I've accepted & 1 other I'm trying to arrange for a friend who is already based in Calis so the forums a damn fine place to loiter with intent!

Offline johntaylor49

Very long Term rent!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Thanks everyone so far, will take all the advice!

Keep it coming!

Anyone know if I can continue to study in Turkey to continuie to
improve my Victor Meldrew skills???  :)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Very long Term rent!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
lol John - hang around some of the 'expat' haunts long enough and those skills will be honed to a tee !!!!   Good luck with what ever you decide to do.  we are about 5 years away from making the same sort of decisions...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf