Author Topic: Incorrect Names on TAPU - Residency?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Incorrect Names on TAPU - Residency?
« on: July 18, 2011, 14:10:51 PM »
I suspect I know the answer to this but here goes.  :)

We are coming out for 10 months in January and are going to take out residency at that time.

We got married in Turkey in 2008 and my wife still has her previous name on our TAPU along with mine.

Will that be a problem if we take the wedding license issued in Fethiye along with our TAPU?

Our longer term plan was to sell our 2-bed place and look for a 3-bed place in the near future as we spend more time in Fethiye and I thought we could then buy the new new property in the correct married names and sort everything out at that stage?

Anyone had a similar experience recently?

Ian

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 14:51:55 PM »
I would suggest getting in touch with the one & only Nikki Bulan, (Sunny D),ask if she can handle EVERY aspect of the matter Ian. Loz suggests that Nikki may be in England at the moment, Lytham St. Annes, I believe, not too far from yourself, is it ??
All the best, mate.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 15:11:15 PM »
Many thanks Gordon - best wishes to you and Loz

Ps I will be in Lytham St Anne's on Saturday - small world!!!

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 17:17:37 PM »
When we sold our place we were told that it was no problem. When the new owner went to register the Tapu in his name we had to provide a copy of our marriage certificate.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 17:27:19 PM »
Ovacikpeedoff - that is very useful to know and I was hoping that would be the case in the event of a sale.

Has it been a problem with a residency application or do you know if we can we just provide a copy of our Turkish wedding certificate?

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 18:31:19 PM »
Hi Ian, I don't think it will be a problem at all for you both to apply for your resident permits as long as you have a copy of the wedding certificate to attach to your wifes application , my other half and I are not married so obviously have different surnames and the Tapu is in my name only and they did not have issues with it at all, just clarified the address with a copy of our joint bank account.I would also recommend you deal with the non uniform gentleman in the passport police office he is much more approachable, also don't raise it as a issue with them let them state any issues when you show them all your paperwork as they give you a checklist of everything you need to do prior! :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 18:32:22 PM by corbindallas »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 18:59:37 PM »
Ian, When we moved to Turkey my wife had changed the name on her passport and we just applied under her married name. The Tapu was in joint names under her maiden name and it never caused a problem. We did not have to change anything.

One thing that you should check out is what is the situation, God forbid,if one of you was to pass away. Knowing Turkey it would probably mean masses of paperwork and delay to get theTapu transferred. Sorry for being so morbid.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 20:53:46 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 21:47:18 PM »
Corbindallas & Ovacikpeedoff - many thanks indeed - I will now try to get it done in the manner you both suggest as we arrive in January.

As it is our first residency I am hoping to arrange do it with Ilknur so maybe she will be able to "smooth it through" for us.

I perfectly understand the "passing away" and it is good advice and to be honest when we do sort it out I am going to put the property (existing or new) in my wife's name as I am 10 yrs older and no doubt as the statistics say she will live 10 years longer than me [:(!]

Thank you both  :)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 22:27:05 PM »
Ian before you transfer it into a single name check out the legal side. I am not sure but inheritance law in turkey is not the same as the UK. My suggestion would be joint names and a Turkish will then this should avoid any complications.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:42 AM »
Will do - thanks again - the forum at it's best :D

quote:
Originally posted by Ovacikpeedoff

Ian before you transfer it into a single name check out the legal side. I am not sure but inheritance law in turkey is not the same as the UK. My suggestion would be joint names and a Turkish will then this should avoid any complications.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf