Author Topic: visa trip to rhodes  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Ray1951

visa trip to rhodes
« on: July 29, 2011, 15:30:00 PM »
It is becoming more difficult and expensive to go to Meis to renew a visa but for 97 YTL  (40 euros), you can book with Yesil Dalyan. I e-mailed them yesterday and a lovely person called Bahr e-mailed me back today.  The price includes return pick up from Calis.  I went to Rhodes in May and the new ferry was fantstic.  Obviously I am a woos and I want to bring back some goodies from Rhodes.  Has anyone got any information on where best to shop for the 'usual' goodies - bacon,
cheese, Lurpak butter etc.  Well it IS a treat !    :)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 16:33:58 PM »
Just remember that all the shops close at 1 till 6. we got caught out.

Offline Ray1951

visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 18:22:52 PM »
Thanks for that, I SHOULD know, having lived in Greece for many years - oh how quickly we forget.    :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 19:00:44 PM »
There is a Lidl just outside Rhodes town.  We hired a car when we were over and drove around the Island there seemed to be quite a lot of Supermarkets.  I am sure someone will tell you the best one.   Don't forget there is a Marks & Spencers and a B.H.S. in Rhodes town.  Also if you have a wife/partner she will not want to miss Sephora in Rhodes town, which is a fabulous cosmetics/toiletries shop. Sephora in N.Y. Time Square is open 24-7 and was featured in Sex and The City when Carrie was shopping there.  I love Sephora, wish they would open some branches in the U.K.

Offline jackstee

visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 19:50:41 PM »
Dont book with Carol & Tyfun. They charged us 388 for two. Just the other day.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 19:57:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

Also if you have a wife/partner she will not want to miss Sephora in Rhodes town, which is a fabulous cosmetics/toiletries shop

Cheese, lurpak butter = cometicss/toiletries :o

A a mere man, the mind boggles ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 20:34:29 PM »
Don't worry John they sell men's products too!!

Offline scouser2

visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 01:51:26 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jackstee

Blimey thats a bit steep.It's only 410 TL for a 4 year visa. Did they give a reason why they charged so much? We went on a day trip to Rhodes (on the hydrofoil) 2 years ago and I think the charge was about £45 each.
I used to like Carole & Tayfun, but have found that they 'jump on the bandwagon' if there is a bit of dosh to be made.Example of this is 100 TL to do your residency for you...other agents are charging 50 TL.I have a feeling that if they carry on charging 'over the odds' that people will not book with them.Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!

Offline Linda

visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jackstee

I'm guessing that includes your visa (15 EUR pp)? But Carol and Tayfun were doing a special visa trip last year .... perhaps that has been shelved now there arent so many takers!!!
Yesil Dalyan charged me 338TL for 2 people for an open return ticket (a day trip is cheaper ... 65 EUR pp). This includes transfers from your home or hotel. The hydrofoil has never been cheap though, which is why I usually opt to stay over for a night to maximise my time.
Most of the tourist shops in the old town don't close for siesta (2pm to 5.30pm) nor do M&S, BHS, Zara and the supermarket stocking UK produce in the new town. Just watch out for Bank Holidays when almost everywhere in the new town is shut!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:15:23 AM by Linda »

Offline kizkucuk

visa trip to rhodes
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
Remember if you are travelling in the summer that butter and chocolate will melt.  My friends went recently and came back with some very liquid chocolate - it was ok after 24 hours in the fridge just a strange shape not sure butter would be edible.     Sephora used to have shops in the UK but they closed them all - no plans to reopen   :-(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf