Author Topic: customs - information/advice needed  (Read 2594 times)

Offline JaneD

customs - information/advice needed
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
Hi

I am new to the forum so not sure where to go for this information.

I have some household items (nothing electrical) coming over from the UK and am not sure of the process regarding customs here.  I am using a UK removal company and they gave me some information, but I dont understand it all!!!

Has anyone brought goods into Turkey and if so, can they offer any information/advice please.

Thanks
Jane

Offline screamlead

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
Only advice i can offer is if the stuff is coming in via Izmir - take loads of cash with you. Cost me a small fortune in bribes to get my stuff released!

Offline scouser2

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 21:02:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by screamlead

Only advice i can offer is if the stuff is coming in via Izmir - take loads of cash with you. Cost me a small fortune in bribes to get my stuff released!

Yes, same here....Oh and if you arrive at the agents office after 2-30 pm they tell you that it is too late to get your stuff on that day and to stay overnight in a hotel.If you don't want to do that they will charge you a fortune for 'overtime' for their staff and the customs officers.

Offline Firo

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 21:10:54 PM »
Take an independent Turkish speaker with you who knows the import laws....

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
The UK remover should have a Turkish Agent this end.  I arranged power of attorney for them.  I still had to be there - got the 5am bus from Fethiye - was in Izmir just after 11am - got a taxi to the agents office - went straight to the docks - was sent awway for lunch and went back at 2pm - all done and dusted and on the return bus by 4.30pm - I paid 150 euros tax for my cd/radio/tape player - which is exactly what I expected to pay.  No other taxes due, no bribes.  Was delivered by the agent to my front door within 7 days of my visit to Izmir - would have been quicker but went to Izmir on the 30th December and New Year slowed things down.  Another friend who has moved more recently didn't even have to goto Izmir in person.  No taxeable goods in her shipment ( a whole 4 bed house) no tax paid.   Contact your Uk remover again and ask them to explain exactly what will happen.   Good Luck.

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 16:54:01 PM »
I think it is a lot of pot luck with Izmir, we had to pay nothing when there but got a call a few day's later from the Turkish side shipping agent Soyer with the charges 3500TL, we only had one plasma in the container, paid it by bank transfer got our stuff and saw on the receipt delivered it was 500TL cheaper than paid, on questioning with our English shippers Dorre Bonner they found out the extra 500TL was a back hander, which we had no control over or what for!!!Also we had paid door to door with Doree Bonner and they sub contracted it to Dolphin and they used Soyer in Turkey, without prior agreement knowledge from us.:-\

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 19:19:04 PM »
If you have a choice, do not use Soyer, they will try every way to get money out of you.  They tried to charge us for a "new tent" we told them to unpack it and look at the grass stains, "a new video camera" he was holding an empty box!  "too many sofa's"???.  Eventually got our stuff after paying "taxes", asked for receipt, which arrived 7 days later with our goods, which was substantially less than we actually paid!

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 20:03:34 PM »
Video camera, tent, grass stains, that explains all the noise from your garden Eric! : :) ;)

Offline Eric

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 21:09:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by corbindallas

Video camera, tent, grass stains, that explains all the noise from your garden Eric! : :) ;)

I have seen you out with your telescope ;)  Jealous imp you:D:D: :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf