Author Topic: Driving on a UK Driving Licence  (Read 6987 times)

Offline starman™

Driving on a UK Driving Licence
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
Trust me, your license is valid after 6 months. The actual ruling as it states on the traffic police websites which I would look at as the official mouth piece and not some agean online newspaper gives 12 months but the actual grammar makes it out that only those need to change if they become a Turkish citizen. The word temporary visit can be translated as anything. I have known people to be here many years but they imported their furniture under the same "gecici" temporary meaning.
My wife is English and only has a UK license, she has been here for 17 years. She has a BMW and made an insurance claim last month and they never raised the subject once about a turkish license. Same to another English family 3 weeks ago.
I work closely with several insurance companies helping expats get car insurance, home insurance etc etc. This is part of my job so I do know what is going on. Never, has any insurance company ever asked for a Turkish license or never has any insurance company in all these years with all the people I know as refused to pay because of this not having a Turkish license subject.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
Well, maybe they have been lucky...who knows.

Just because something isn't clearly specified on some website, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

You mentioned a foreigner changing his license into a Turkish one because he was going to the oil fields near Batman.  According to the traffic police website he - assuming that he works in Turkey - needs to have a certified translation of his foreign license in order to drive legally. Nothing is written about the possibility of obtaining a Turkish license. Does this mean that he can't use one? No, it doesn't. Like I said: just because it isn't mentioned, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

By the way...the website doesn't say anything about foreigners becoming Turkish citizens as you mention in your last post. It only mentions Turkish citizens who are returning to Turkey definitely.

Offline starman™

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 13:39:33 PM »
Nothing to do with luck. Lost count the amount of muppets that have crashed into me or my wife (can be often in Istanbul) and never had a problem with police or insurance and luck always run out and I am sure that after 20 years, it should have run out a long time ago if your claims were correct. It is just the way it is.
Also the main reason my friend got a Turkish license (he kept his British one) was he was fed up with the jandarme out east taking for every to understand what a UK license was even with a translated copy.
But just to clarify, you DO NOT have to change your license after 6 months. This is a fact.
Anyway, now time to get on to a much more serious matter and that is where to drink tonight as its friday and the end of a work week.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 14:33:18 PM »
Then I can only say to you: Þerefe!

P.S. Your nick sounded familiar but reading Istanbul has made the penny drop. We have actually met a couple of years ago when you offered me a job :-)

Offline Denise40

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 14:53:18 PM »
Received this email today from a friend:

Hi Everyone
apparently we can all breath a sigh of relief..................thanks to local sleuth!

This same subject reared its head last year. Enquiries at Traffic Police and Hyundai garage who both said the information was incorrect. It turned out to be a money-making process for the locals who could speak English.

Had an appointment with Turkish solicitor. Showed him the info from the article and he said he had no knowledge of these so-called new laws.

He telephoned a Turkish motor insurance agent and he said it was not required to have a Turkish Licence and also the conditions regarding Fiat Doblo, Renault Kango, etc. were also incorrect.

A Turkish Driving Licence which cost me 640 TL (including the use of a Turkish agent) - Nice money for a Turk to earn in a day!

PS Friend paid for Turkish licence not me!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 14:54:34 PM by Denise40 »

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 15:04:07 PM »
Good news for all!

Offline Firo

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 15:41:30 PM »
Another Urban rumour put straight so thanks to Denise for passing the info on and yet again Starman is correct in his knowledge....well done both.

Offline BM06

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 21:01:23 PM »
Well firo, how do you work that one out? no links to facts, or Turkish law, just as you put it ''urban rumour'' from a different source! starman so called link in ''Turkish law'' was IMO is an absoulute joke, as for Denises post no facts? email from a friend!

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »

As I have stated before. If you LIVE in Turkey and do not have a UK address, your UK picture license will expire (10 years from first issue) you cannot LEGALLY renew it, so if you intend at some point to holiday back in the UK and hire a car, you can LEGALLY with a Turkish license.

Offline Eric

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 13:56:56 PM »
BM06, No facts or source given by Aegean either! but some people choose to believe them.  Which is the joke?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf