Author Topic: MEDICAL CARE  (Read 6818 times)

Offline rosie

MEDICAL CARE
« on: March 16, 2005, 17:59:15 PM »
Hi everyone,quick question regarding medical care,this year will be the first time that I will be renting out my aptartment to friends family and I am trying to put together a fact sheet with information  for them ,with ref to illness while on holiday  (god forbid !),do they go to the main A&E dept at the new hospital or do they call for a doctor ,
         rosie

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 17:54:06 PM »
I would suggest that any one be it family or friends that you insist that they get comprehensive holiday insurance. They would then be best using the private hospitals either Letoon hospital or Esnaf hospital as both have english speaking staff and tourists departments, both have amubulances if there is an emergency.!!!!

Offline leeds utd

MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 05:54:27 AM »
We have recently used Letoon Hospital. The staff in the tourist office speak English and one member of staff is english. The doctor seen spoke fluently. The care recieved was excellent .

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 08:28:34 AM »
Rosie your list is a great idea for guest, there is usually a very good page of essential contact numbers in the land of lights (unfortunately can not locate my copy at the moment) but keep trying there web site, in the meantime found this link

http://www.mugla-turizm.gov.tr/en/07800.asp

Also links for the local hospitals.  Esnaf are quite good for tourist (but personally would not recommend for residents) just m make your guest aware of the excess on their policies.

http://www.esnafhastanesi.com/eng/index.asp

http://www.fethiye.net/letoonhospital/

Offline The Crinklies

MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 15:45:57 PM »
Hi Loz, we were interested in your comment re "would not recommend Esnaf hospital for residents" as we will be resident in Turkey later this year. We hope that you don't mind us asking (we don't need the details)but is that because of a bad experience there?
The Crinklies

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 16:24:55 PM »
Hi "crinkles"  Last summer my brother had a bad ear infection so took him off to the Esnaf and they couldn't have been more helpful, treatment injection pills and potions etc... he did not claim on his insurance his excess was £50 and as his final bill came to approx £57.  they were great for this small treatment.
However, since then 3 people (cant name for obvious reasons) have complained bitterly, christmas a friend was taken seriously ill and they called the Esnaf and were asked immediately for £400 (even though they held the so called residents discount card) they waited and no show, they managed to go to another local clinic who treated with an intravenous drip and were not pestered for payment at this distressing time and to sort out later. one week went by and their bill was a quarter of the Esnaf.  another is suffering from a kidney complaint, took out medical insurance in Fethiye last March and January had to go for extensive test, charged £400 (again) for xrays and they made an appointment for Antalya hospital. medical insurance did not cover this treatment in the first year so my friend has to pay himself (10millyar approx £5k), he went to Antalya hospital and was told the test and xrays were incorrect and treatment was inflaming the condidtion. Esnaf also confirmed test of stone in one kidney and the ohter blocked, Antalya confirmed stone but informed our friend that he was born with only one Kidney!! the professor phoned esnaf and explained what treament they were to give until a bed was free (Antalya) at no extra cost as they had made a mistake...  this is ongoing, and he has now found that Esnaf were incorrect and this treatment could have been carried out locally in the Letoon hospital for 5Millyar approx £2.500.  
I think this is enough and do not want to divulge the rest.  So for minor ailments for quick A&E holiday ailments they are great...but for the more serious would think twice if I had that choice, but this is my personal experiences good and bad, but like everything there is always someone to extol the virtues I am sure that many more could add theirs.

Offline rosie

MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 16:57:54 PM »
Thank you to everyone who replied to the topic on medical care,sorry it took so long to reply ! :)

Offline teresa321

MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 07:51:57 AM »
What is the recent opinions of hospital care please and registering when we arrive over in Turkey.  Any information gratefully received.

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:09:52 AM »

Teresa, our daughter recently had the misfortune to break her finger quite badly, she was taken to the ESNAF hospital where she received excellent care by two doctors who spoke good English. She was seen within 15 minutes, and had to return the following day when her dressing was changed, again she was seen very quickly.

Offline teresa321

MEDICAL CARE
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:11:54 AM »
Thanks Val. I was leaning in favour of Esnaf but saw the post from Loz above and wondered whether that was a "glitch" that may have now been sorted out.

Teresa

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf