Author Topic: Need some help with a flight - Please!  (Read 3622 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Need some help with a flight - Please!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 14:00:42 PM »
Have finally contacted our nearest Thomas Cook shop, who tell me that they cannot take a booking for a 17 year old to fly out of another country, into the UK, without someone over the age of 18 with her.  :(

They told me that they have two systems that they use, and the lady I spoke to had contacted her supervisor and they are unable to book our daughter in to fly alone.  [^]

Ron, I've had a look at the T&C's for Thomas Cook and the only bit I could find which refers to this states "We regret we cannot accept any booking for a child or children under 18 unless accompanied by a parent or guardian"

I guess I'm just going to have to fly her home using a Thomson flight, which is over £200 one way!  What a rip off!   :o
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 14:01:50 PM by julesbob0303 »

Offline blueclad

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 16:28:20 PM »
Julie.
if you go onto thomas cook web page  click on [b]Help[/b on the top of the page type in questions box , [u]Minors travel alone [/u it comes up with no minor under  16 yrs can travel alone , click onto  live chat box   and ask the question  or phone them up .fingers crossed for you .
Ron

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 16:45:22 PM by blueclad »

Offline kanga

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 17:26:29 PM »
Thomson let a 17 year old fly unaccompanied as long as you book in shop and have a letter of consent and with Monarch a 17 year old can fly unaccompanied and you can book online with no problems. Thomas Cook will not carry anyone under 18 unaccompanied.

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 22:10:16 PM »
It looks as if it is only Thomas Cook who wont let a 17 year old fly alone.  All the others class an "adult" as 16+

Hi Ron, I went onto live chat a couple of weeks back, and the woman I spoke to said they wouldn't allow an under 18 year old to fly alone.  :(

Thanks for your help though, and I hope you're keeping well.  Haven't spoke to you for ages!   :-\

I was looking at flights this morning and one of the airlines I looked at classed an adult as 12+ !!  Can't remember who it was though, as they didn't have any suitable flights anyway!   :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 22:11:56 PM by julesbob0303 »

Offline blueclad

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »
Ive emailed you julie via yahoo

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 14:12:14 PM »
I presume that the Data Protection Act would prohibitb an airline from furnishing you with a list of email addresses for people on a particular flight who could act as a saparone.

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 18:58:24 PM »
H, I don't think the airline would be allowed to do that. And to be honest, other passengers would still all be strangers to me (and her) so wouldn't really fancy that! She will be fine to fly by herself on a daytime flight (I would prefer that she wasn't in Dalaman airport alone late at night/early hours when she would be very tired and more vulnerable), and will be met at the arrival airport by a family member.  She will probably read or listen to music for the entire journey - I wouldn't want to ask a complete stranger to take care of her, making her feel that she has to make small talk with someone she doesn't know.  :o

However, if there is a cbf member travelling back to Cardiff or Bristol mid August who doesn't mind a 17 year old tagging along with them, please message me!!!  (Most would still be strangers of course, but I would feel a bit happier with this arrangement!)  :)

Thanks for your message Ron - great to hear from you.  Will try those numbers tomorrow as I'll have more time, and then reply to your email. x

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
Jules :  I can absolutely guarantee that it can be done.  Lottie flew twice on her own last year - before her 18th - on her own.  She had to have an adult book it (her Grandma, becaus I was stuck in Turkey !) and write a ltter of consent which was produced to the airline.  Bingo....simple.  So we know it can be done, think TC are giving you a bumsteer :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf