Author Topic: The Assured End of an Era  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: The Assured End of an Era
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 15:11:56 PM »
Believe me I have served my sentence - 10 years in real estate in Turkey is quite enough  ;)

I work with several people in several different ways so I still have a hand in it. To be honest I never had a problem taking people back to see a property again (or indeed again and again) - it is very important that people choose the right property - for them of course but also a customer rushed/pressured into buying something they aren't entirely sure of can become a problem in waiting. If an agent sighs at the very sight of you it really is time to find a new agent. I always remind people that your relationship with your agent is far more important there than in the UK. Once you've agreed to buy in the UK it's over to the solicitor and the agent's work is done. In Turkey you may need to visit your agent dozens of times over many years as a point of contact/advice. That's what irritated me when people say about how much agents charge there compared with the UK. The difference is the UK agent earns it for a few days work, we earned it for possibly many years of support and advice. For that reason it is important that you trust (and like) your agent - you don't want to be buying with one who is all smiles till they get their fee then suddenly not answering the phone when you call.

I think (for the record) you are doing well. Your research has now found you three agents you are happy with - the rest is down to them putting you in front of the property you hoped for (and not the property they want you to buy). They are all well thought of locally and rightly so in my view. All good so far, keep it up  ;)

I am always here if anyone wants to ask anything about buying/owning - either on the forum or privately via private message.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 16:25:38 PM by Scunner »

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 17:28:37 PM »
You are one hell of a good guy Keith, not many of us left.  ;)  :)

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 19:49:11 PM »
Agreed.

Offline 160606

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 20:21:07 PM »
Scunner, sosorry to read this posting from you.  Jim and I have been talking to Olga and Cenk through the Rimms (our friends) and we are hoping to be able to buy something when we visit in October.  We've visited the Rimms each year since they've had their house and we know the area well and are now able to think about a place for ourselves. When we discussed with them the first thingGeorge said was we'll  speak to Keith, then to go to Cenk and Olga.  I've had a couple of e-mails back and forth from them and they know our position.  In all our discussions with the Rimms it has always been that we would ask the oracle for advice when we found the place we wanted, and the idea  of you holding the money until it was all sorted gave us the safety net we needed.  So can I ask, will you  still do this if people request it of you, or does it mean you are no longer doing it at all. But still very sorry to hear what you've had to say.  Helen

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 20:51:22 PM »
Well I must say I wasn't expecting to see this topic return, or the subsequent outpouring of grief - but thanks all the same  :)

No I am not in a position to do the Assured system as a one-off unfortunately, it was a little too involved for that - sorry. You can talk to me anytime, just drop me a line and if I can help I will with pleasure. If it's helpful you can make a donation to our charity or buy me a beer sometime.

Cenk is someone (and sadly there aren't many these days) I trust with my life, and have done for 10 years now. He also has tolerance far greater than mine! I still get enquiries and far too many are like "please mark all the following properties on a map, numbered and supply a photograph of all four aspects of each, and photographs taken looking out from all four aspects. Once I have decided which ones I (if any) I wish to see, I shall contact you with details of the date and time I will be available to view them".

There's an app for that - the delete button :D - and I do, I can't be bothered reading their drivel, I couldn't imagine actually having to communicate with them.

That was exactly how it seemed to progress - to me anyway - I went from dream maker to chauffeur/servant in 10 easy years. Not for me anymore thanks. There's no need to be very sorry - I work with property websites (as opposed to being a property seller/agent) and I am still enjoying writing and developing www.fethiye.co.uk when I get an afternoon to do so, and do actually like it when people email me to ask for an opinion. I'm quite big on opinions  ;)

Offline 160606

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
Thanks for your response Scunner,may well take you up on asking for advice if we see what we want in October, if you don't mind.
Cheers. Helen

Offline Robw

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 19:46:28 PM »
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do Keith, One door closes another one opens as they say!

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 14:46:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have given up on the estate agent business Keith ,still look back 8 years ago and rated you as the best going.   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 17:17:46 PM »
Thank you so much Ron, that really touched me. However, as mentioned earlier, customers have changed one hell of a lot since I had the pleasure of you as one. I remember our viewing day like it was last week  :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
The Assured End of an Era
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 17:52:14 PM »
I remember you showing us around and being so impressed in the petrol station that you were able to ask for elli lires worth of petrol!
I remember saying how I couldn't ever imagine being able to speak Turkish like that!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf