Author Topic: So what do you really, really want  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
So what do you really, really want
« on: April 20, 2012, 18:08:26 PM »
Rather than hijacking mikeh's thread, I thought it best to start another in response to Jacqui's assertion "that what we (Brits) want most is Turkish Food in Turkey".

Jacqui - firstly I have to confess to being somewhat irked when someone presumes to tell me what I want.

Bella Mama was packed every night we passed during our last visit.

That does not mean that what we (Brits) want the most is Italian food in Turkey.

You may not go to Mozaik for the location, but is one of the many reasons we do.

Oh and by the way, Nicola and Dogan seem to be managing quite well without my input, so I will refrain from making sweeping statements to them regarding British tourist's culinary preferences.

Offline Stan

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 18:34:35 PM »
Nice food/drink , nice people and reasonably priced. Whatever you fancy at the time. Location ? not too bothered, go for a walk afterwards.  :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 19:11:15 PM »
What do Brits want on holiday; tasty food, generous helpings, value for money, good service and a pleasant atmosphere?

Over and above that some people want designer so they will eat at more exclusive and expensive restaurants, some like British Rail fare and will make a bee line for what is familiar in the shape of a full English and Roast Dinners and some will want to enjoy ‘the nations favourite dish' and hunt out an Indian and yet others will delight in savouring the culture of the country through its cuisine and seek out what best offers that experience.

And some will want to do all of the above  ;)

Offline cheers

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 19:14:50 PM »
You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!  :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 19:15:47 PM »
What do we want on holiday - whatever we fancy that day/evening! Something traditional/local, a steak perhaps, a pizza, fish and chips or a full English Breakfast. We even have an Indian (although not in Calis/Fethiye because they are ALL rubbish so we leave that till the holiday is over and have one back in the UK). We go on holiday to spend time together, there are no rules on what we eat or don't eat at all.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 19:48:16 PM »
We're a bit like you Keith.  Whatever tickles our fancy at the time.
One thing we don't seem to do as much now is go to the front to eat our evening meal. I got so sick of the same menu in just about every restaurant ie, rice, chips and salad or steak with a too salty sauce that I couldn't bare it any longer.
Some nights I just want a dinner, no fancy frills, no starters and sweets just something to eat.  Other nights I may just want some soup and a chicken donner and for us that's when we find a nice lokanta and spend an hour or two just people watching.
The three things we don't want are, a full English, Indian or Chinese food.  We get all of that at home.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 22:10:29 PM »
I have been coming to Calis for 7 years and over that time my tastes have changed with experience at first as it was my first real holiday abroad (I was 40) so everything came into play cost, location, if the place was busy (the old adage if its busy it must be good) and at the time were the meals on the menu recognisable i.e Steak and chips also we had 2 very fussy teenagers in tow.
That was then now there's only myself and the wife we tend to have a different set of ideas, the cost is still a factor but now we tend to stay away from the front (in a 2 week period probably only eat there twice) as we have made friends of some of the owners we will pop in and have the standard steak and chips mainly because it's simple and were there for the people rather than the food but then we will travel over to fethiye and go to Mozaik, Pasha Kebap or try a lokanta .
But it still is down to what we fancy at the time, we tend to decide as we are walking along and the conversation tends to go like this
Me....  you hungry
The wife....yes
Me ......where do you want to go
The wife......not bothered
Me........well what do you fancy
The wife.....not bothered
Me.........well do you want, then list every type of food known to man
The wife.....not bothered
Steak and chips it is then   :)

Offline marina

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 15:53:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anne

The three things we don't want are, a full English, Indian or Chinese food.  We get all of that at home.

For us add No. 4 - a Sunday roast with Yorkshire pudding etc.!

Offline Steve A

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 17:51:04 PM »
Love to have traditional turkish in Calis like Mehtap used to be before it went posh and Sardunya which was our favourite,but wouldnt eat there every day.When I need a fix I go to Seckin or into Fethiye.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 18:23:10 PM »
Yes the loss of Sardunya was a real blow for Calis in my opinion - we loved it there too and Cihan was a great host. For a Turkish "fix" we normally head for the Megri Lokantasi on the edge of Paspatur or the Sahil next to Migros.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf