Author Topic: Van hire  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Van hire
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
Does anyone know of a UK van hire company whereby you can hire a LHD transit in UK and drive it 'one way' to Fethiye ? (If necessary it could be returned to Cesme for shipping)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Van hire
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 16:53:38 PM »
You'll be incredibly lucky to find an RHD one let alone a LHD. I tried a few years ago to hire a vehicle in the UK to drive to Turkey and wasn't able to. You need a V5C in your name to bring the vehicle into Turkey. You won't get a hire company to sign the vehicle over to you.

You seriously need to consider alternatives. Have you thought about buying a vehicle, driving it over and then either signing it over to the Belediye, or, driving it back yourself or getting someone to accompany you, so that they can drive it back? The purchase costs and hire costs, together with shipping costs, can be comparable.

I trust that you're aware that you need to have a Residence Permit to import your personal belongings ?

When are you thinking of making this trip ?

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »
I'm just investigating options at the moment - we don't intend to travel until Sept 2014.
Buying a LHD van for the trip is our first choice at present but I understand that I can't sell
it on when I get to Fethiye (we don't intend to own a vehicle in Fethiye - let alone a van !!!!)
What did you mean about signing it over to the Belediyese ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 14:21:07 PM »
I don't understand why you're intent on buying a LHD vehicle. If you do manage to track one down in the UK it'll probably be Polish or Bulgarian registered and be a complete shed. Then you've got to get it tested, registered, taxed and insured in the UK. (You'll probably have to pay an extra premium for a UK company to give you insurance cover for an LHD). Just buy a RHD. You'll find it far easier to buy and not a huge inconvenience to drive on the "wrong side" as a large part of the journey is on dual-carriageways or motorways.

If you insist on buying a vehicle and don't want to return it to the UK you could donate it to the local council (Belediye). There's some paperwork, and of course some cost involved, but it gets it off your hands if you're prepared to write-off it's value.

The best plan is to buy an RHD in the UK. Get a co-pilot/navigator to go with you and have them put it on their passport when you cross the border into Turkey. Then they can drive the vehicle back to the UK and sell it for you. I'm sure you won't have any difficulty finding someone to do the trip with you. You never know, it might even be me!    ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 15:04:31 PM »
Another option is to look for someone heading the other way (returning to live in the UK) who could do a deal on the van or at least get it back to the UK for you. I think this would mean you would have to accompany them back to the border (unless they arrived with you which is unlikely). There are always people returning to the UK to live and a van would be handy.

Not that travelling to Turkey with KKOB isn't an interesting option  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 15:20:18 PM »
Excellent post Mr Scunner. Remind me to show you a Raki next time we meet.

Offline Ozzie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 16:18:07 PM »
We bought an old van in the UK prior to us moving here - drove it across - arriving in Turkey at the end of April 2011 - then when the six months were up we donated it to customs at Dalaman airport - no costs involved in the donation

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:42 AM »
Sounds good Ozzie - I take it you already had residency ?
Having to gain residency before we import the van and contents might make things awkward for us -
we were hoping to just arrive and set up home (ever the optimists !!!!!)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
Residency regulations :- http://ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-turkey/

As residency is required before importation of goods/vehicle - does this sound feasible ?

Take a holiday in Fethiye a couple of months before intended 'drive' to Turkey (Sept 2014)
Arrange a winter apartment let for 6 months in a 'self catering' holiday complex to give us time to find
more permanent rental accommodation. Apply for residency (with the help of an agent) during this 'holiday'
Return to UK and drive back a few weeks later with van, possessions and two small dogs (fully chipped, jabbed, health checked etc)

Offline Ozzie

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 13:17:29 PM »
Hi - we did not have residency before we brought our van and goods into Turkey.  We only brought household items - did not bring any electrical items that received a transmission - ie tv - didn't have any issue at customs - crossed via Bodrum - maybe we were just lucky.  We did do an itemised list of everything that we had with us.  Also had a dog with us, with all the necessary paperwork - they didn't check it - just patted him on the head and welcomed him to Turkey :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf