Author Topic: Driving Licence validity - advice from the DVLA  (Read 8298 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: Driving Licence validity - advice from the DVLA
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 23:48:24 PM »
This is the site that I used, I have a gateway password and could only get so far when it decided my non UK address was not acceptable. I will phone our local Portsmouth DVLA tomorrow.

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 15:31:45 PM »
Loz has just this minute come off the phone after being in touch with our nearest DVLA office in Portsmouth. When she asked the question re. the validity/legality of a U.K. Drivers License being used in Turkey, she was informed that the matter would HAVE to be discussed with the relevant authority in Turkey. There would/could be HUGE problems in the case of an accident/other motoring offence, where it would/could be deemed that the holder of the U.K. license was, in fact, driving a vehicle without the proper legal documents, with all of the legal penalties that this offence would incur.
There was a definitive NO to the question re. renewing the U.K. license to an Ex-pat living in Turkey. The renewal is only accepted from persons who are resident in the U.K. , whether or not these persons are living abroad and having a secondary U.K address or not .
The fact that many Ex-pats have a U.K. address, ( to be used, I suppose) as some sort of 'bolt-hole', is therefore totally irrelevant.
I hope this has been of help.
Gordy.

Offline Eric

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 15:45:31 PM »
"..the matter would HAVE to be discussed with the relevant authority in Turkey"

This already has been done, and the answer by the Turkish authorities is put into their traffic law which states;

1. Tourist visa = British licence is all that is needed, as long as it covers the class of vehicle you are driving.
2. Residence permit = British licence translated into Turkish and notorised, and  it covers the class of vehicle you are driving.
3. Turkish nationality - Turkish driving licence required.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 15:47:11 PM »
Okey dokey.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 16:07:57 PM »
"..the matter would HAVE to be discussed with the relevant authority in Turkey"

This already has been done, and the answer by the Turkish authorities is put into their traffic law which states;

1. Tourist visa = British licence is all that is needed, as long as it covers the class of vehicle you are driving.
2. Residence permit = British licence translated into Turkish and notorised, and  it covers the class of vehicle you are driving.
3. Turkish nationality - Turkish driving licence required.

Can you post the link to the actual traffic law please Eric?

Offline Eric

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 16:16:00 PM »
I have said so many times, both on here and FB, that both Koray Atak and Yacup Yilmaz (Both appointed legal translators by the courts) have spoken to the head of the Traffic Police in Mugla.  The head of the traffic police told both of them on different days, that the above is Turkish Law.  We also asked our Insurance agent, independently, and he said exactly the same.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 17:20:48 PM »
I asked if you had a direct link to the regulations that are being referred to - it just seems odd that some people are being told, by the Police, that they need to have a Turkish licence, and are being given a fixed period of time to get one. Loz has put links to relevant DVLA and EU rules and I have posted the response I have had direct from DVLA. I assumed that someone somewhere could provide similar information re the Turkish rules that are being referred to!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 20:38:31 PM »
A good Article found in Fethiye Times,  http://www.fethiyetimes.com/guides/160-how-to-guides/5378-fethiye-times-diy-turkish-driving-licence-guide.html

To be on the side right side of your insurance company ask your insurers if your current licence is valid, and should you be unfortunate to have an accident during the term of the policy will you be covered.  Remember, Insurance companies are very happy to take your money and will find any loophole not to have to pay out. 

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 20:53:18 PM »
Yes Loz, we always asked if a translation was all that was required and was always told it was OK.  BUT that was using a UK address of one of our sons, because we no longer had an property in the UK.  Yes, we did have a translation, but when he moved, we realised we either had another translation done for HIS new address, knowing full well it was possibly going to drop us in it at some point ( -OR him), or we just bit the bullet and got a Turkish licence and be done with it.  We took the latter option.

Offline Eric

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 21:24:38 PM »
I asked if you had a direct link to the regulations that are being referred to - it just seems odd that some people are being told, by the Police, that they need to have a Turkish licence, and are being given a fixed period of time to get one. Loz has put links to relevant DVLA and EU rules and I have posted the response I have had direct from DVLA. I assumed that someone somewhere could provide similar information re the Turkish rules that are being referred to!

I don't have a direct link to the law in question.  We were told by the head of Mugla traffic police, which is good enough for me.  I don't question British police if they tell me the law so why should I question Turkish police? 
He also said that there was a change in the law last year which affected Turkish nationals who emigrated from Turkey and then return some years later. They have to get a Turkish licence (if their old one expired, or if they gained a driving licence abroad) after 12 months of being back in Turkey. This last part is causing the confusion, according to Koray after talking to Mugla Police, as some police officers may be incorrectly enforcing this across the board.

Whether anyone gets a Turkish licence or not means nothing to me, its personal choice.  What I am saying is that there is no legislation which says a UK licence is not valid here and Turkish Law has been explained by the Head of Mugla Traffic Dept.

I am not arguing my point over and over any more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf