Author Topic: new law  (Read 4238 times)

Offline rondo

new law
« on: April 05, 2013, 16:08:11 PM »
Has anyone heard of a change in the law allowing permanent residence after 8 years of residence(Blue book)? And if so,how does it really effect us? Thanks

Offline apollo

Re: new law
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 16:30:13 PM »
No and quite a lot.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 17:11:14 PM »
two interesting bits from the article in Zaman.
The law stipulates that foreigners who stay in Turkey for more than 90 days should apply for a residence permit. The residence permit will become invalid if not used for six months.

According to the new law, authorities will have the right to investigate marriages of foreigners to Turkish citizens in the case of “reasonable suspicions” of fraudulence. Foreigners who have stayed in Turkey with a valid residence permit for eight years uninterruptedly can be given an unlimited residence permit.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-311762-eu-welcomes-new-turkish-law-on-foreigners.html

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 17:44:54 PM »
Excellent idea for anyone who has been there uninterrupted for 8 years, though I doubt if many will fall into this category.  However, for the many people who took residency to get round the 90/180 day visa say to allow them to be in Turkey for a period of five months through the summer, it seems a bit unfair if they have paid for a five year visa that will become invalid if not used for six months. 

Offline saoirse

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
Well sod that!!
I only got mine last year and its  now revoked !!!!

Looks like many of us will need a new RP every year

UPDATE

It would appear a new Short Term RP   (1 year) is to be introduced for property owners.

http://www.expatguideturkey.com/new-law-on-foreigners-and-international-protection/

Note re new Short Term RP

1. it is cancelled if you are out of Turkey for 4 months or more

2 it must be applied for before you go to Turkey- nearest Turkish Embassy/Consulate
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 15:54:20 PM by saoirse »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 19:21:59 PM »
There appears to be some confusion by some about the interpretation of the following sentence in the newspaper article.

"Foreigners who have stayed in Turkey with a valid residence permit for eight years uninterruptedly can be given an unlimited residence permit".

I have sought answers from a number of sources as follows

Can we have a clarification on the following please; specifically the following "Foreigners who have stayed in Turkey with a valid residence permit for eight years uninterruptedly can be given an unlimited residence permit." Does this mean if they have not left Turkey for eight years OR, does it mean if they have held a resident permit without interruption for 8 years?

Gary Chambers who has answered my comment on the newspaper article as follows says

"Nichola Chapman- I read the text of the law. If you have been resident for at least 8 years-i.e. you have been legally resident with the correct permit-then you have the right to permanent residence. During that 8 year period, it does not matter if you have spent time away. I will be applying for this new status asap..."

This is as I thought but I have also asked Şule Beder who got back to me today and said she will look into it next week for me and let me know. I will report back here when I hear more which I hope will be clarification of Gary's answer.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 20:16:30 PM »
I thought that bit was pretty clear

Up to 6 months in any year and up to 1 year in any 5

Offline daveG

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 17:31:43 PM »
Advice please re" New Law" We returned to UK last year i.e 29th Oct 12 and we will be returning to Turkey on the 23rd Apr 13. When I calculated this was less than the 6months (out of the country)
However now four months has been mentioned. Will we have problems with our little blue book!! Clarification please

Offline Marggie

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 18:11:12 PM »
As I understand it this law does not come in for another year.  The 120 days out of Turkey applies to the Short Term Residence Permits (at most for one year) and it says if you are out of Turkey for 120 it might be cancelled.

This has made me so angry, it is high time Turkey got its act in order - they force anybody who stays in Turkey more than 90 days to take out residency but then void it if you are out of Turkey for six months. New rules are brought into force without any real thought - do they want us there? I think not.

Probably will not affect us as we are never away from Turkey for six months but who knows what circumstances might prevent us from continuing to do this.

Offline daveG

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 18:16:40 PM »
Many thanks Marggie for putting our minds at rest. As you say peoples circumstances do change as is the case with us this time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf