Author Topic: Dying in Turkey..  (Read 11656 times)

Offline jackstee

Re: Dying in Turkey..
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 18:42:32 PM »
UpnUntil a year agao there were no crematouriums in Turkey. ( I don't know if this has changed) but I do remember it was in one of the local rags that a company had applied to build one.

Offline angela

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 06:12:47 AM »
we were eating in Gunlukbasi a couple of evenings ago (Kokorec yum ) and saw a coffin on the way to a funeral in a big green Belediye hearse, no pomp or ceremony about it at all.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
We live not far from the Cemetery in Calis and have seen Funerals. I remember one morning hearing lots of wailing and crying and looked out of the landing window at the back of the house and saw lots of men around a grave some on their knees they were crying really loudly, as we are quite a way from the cemetery there is farm land in front of us and then a road.  I thought it strange there where only men in attendance, but was told by a Turkish friend that only men go to the funerals.   
If you are in Calis you will see the big wooden stands with flowers on outside the Florists which are used for funerals.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »
It is men-only at Muslim funerals but females are allowed to attend non-Muslim ones.

If you are in Calis you will see the big wooden stands with flowers on outside the Florists which are used for funerals.

99% of the time those stands are used for the decoration of new shops, businesses, wedding venues and a variety of other celebrations. It's very rare to have any at funerals unless it's that of a public figure or military personnel killed in action.

Offline angela

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 22:26:32 PM »
we were walking to Kaya from Hisaronu last year, and as we passed the cemetery down there we could hear what I assume was the Imam conducting the prayers. It was quite haunting, but lovely at the same time, if that makes sense?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 23:06:57 PM »

KKOB.  The Funeral we saw at Cemetery had those standards of flowers around the grave.  Also, we saw some being made at the Florist in Fethiye when we were ordering the Wedding Flowers and I asked about them and was told there where for a funeral.   So, must have been two important funerals.
I have also seen them at Weddings in Calis on lots of occasions.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Yes, you dont tend to be awate of funeral processions like you would in the UK.  But, I have seen a truck with a coffin on.  Also I have been to a funeral where the coffin was in a van.  So, you wouldn't know you had seen a 'hearse'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf