Author Topic: Use of Credit cards/Exchanging sterling  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Spanish Dave

• Newly Registered
Use of Credit cards/Exchanging sterling
« on: July 08, 2013, 13:35:05 PM »
Dear informed ones.

Do most restaurants in Calis accept plastic?

Are there a shops that wil exchange sterling and if so do you need to have your passport as ID?

Thanks

SD

Offline mac2010

Re: Use of Credit cards/Exchanging sterling
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 13:47:05 PM »
In my 8 years of living here I have found that most of them except credit cards in Calis and in Fethiye but saying this it does not guarantee that on the night that you use a card they will take it as some times you get the excuse the machine is not working as they like to have cash most times. I would try with the card first but always carry enough cash just incase. This has happened a few times to me in Calis but never in Fethiye.  :o As for exchanging money you will not have a problem as there is many places to do this. Not sure if you need your passport as I have not changed money for years other than with the banks.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 14:44:10 PM »
I've never needed my passport in any exchange place. I find they prefer cash to card payments

Offline davybill

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 20:21:12 PM »

Some times banks want proof of identity when changing large sums.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 22:06:11 PM »
We have in all the years we have been coming to Calis ever paid a restaurant with a card.  Restaurants are not that keen to take cards they prefer cash.   We did see someone offering a card in one restaurant and the guy asked the couple to come back the next day and pay cash.
There is an Official Change Office in Calis, but Zumrut Jewellery Shop just a few shops away will give you a better rate any day.  If you go into the Banks in Fethiye it's usually a few lira better.
If you have a Nationwide Flex Account you can draw Sterling free from ATM's, but only Sterling any other currency is charged.
Check with your bank if there are any charges to use a card abroad, some banks do charge for every transaction.

Offline Spanish Dave

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 14:56:51 PM »
Getting a bit woried now.

Was in Kalkan last year and all the restaurants accepted a card.

Would any one care to put my mind at rest?

:-[

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 15:20:03 PM »
We never pay with cards in Calis, always cash.   We take sterling with us to change there and then use a Nationwide Flex Account card at the ATM's when we need more.  I have seen people pay with cards at some restaurants but it's not the norm, most seem to pay in cash like us.  You can certainly offer a card for payment but don't expect it will automatically be accepted. 

You shouldn't need a passport changing money at the shops or official exchange places.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 17:59:18 PM »
I think you will see a big difference in prices from Kalkan to Calis Beach.  We usually have a run down to Kalkan, but find it very expensive.
Last year we called in to change some money in Calis got 2.85 went on to Kalkan where the exchange rate was advertised as 2.75.   Went into a shop and saw a tee shirt I had bought locally for my Granddaughter at for 10 Lira it was 20 Lira in Kalkan.  Went down to the harbour for lunch.  We had Tuna Salad, water, a beer and a wine.  It was exactly double what we usually pay on the prom in Calis Beach.
I went into a Jewellery shop and saw a bracelet I liked it it was silver and glass stones.  The guy told me it was the then equivalent of £230.00.  I told the guy it was far too expensive. He told me that they get those prices because all the people who dock in the yachts pay that sort of money. He told me not to mention that to his boss.
So, I can see why all the restaurants in Kalkan accept credit cards.  However, in Calis the prices are so reasonable for food etc., we don't need cards.   We found last month we were paying around 100 lira for drinks and dinner with dessert. This was for two people.
I am sure some of the places in Calis will accept cards if you ask.   

Offline Lotty

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 20:43:05 PM »
In May & June we paid by credit card in Mosaic Bahce, Yacht Classic, Cem & Can (fish market), Shaka, Buzz Bar (Olu), Nil Bar, Meeting Pont and Pasa Kepap. We only pay on a card which doesn't have transaction charge such as Santander Zero, Halifax Clarity if hy are still available.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 07:34:21 AM »
Getting a bit woried now.

Was in Kalkan last year and all the restaurants accepted a card.

Would any one care to put my mind at rest?

:-[
I thought I did. Most of them take card but try to get you to pay cash if they can. They like cash as they can hide it better from the tax man ,nothing to do with cost of food. If  you are still worried ask them if they except card payment before you sit and not at the end of the evening.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf