Author Topic: Turkish government welcomes wealthy foreign property buyers  (Read 9999 times)

Offline patrice

Re: Turkish government welcomes wealthy foreign property buyers
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 22:28:39 PM »
Miss-understanding here Eric .

We purchased back in 2006 and were lead to believe like you by our agent and other sources that we could make a will and that it would  be 'honoured 'In 2011 we decided that now was the time to go ahead and make our wills...just incase ...It was then we were enlightened with the truth that a will was worthless .
Even now I speak to  owners who are still unaware of the inheritance law.
Using the word 'fools' was not meant to offend.I was merely trying to point out that there were a large number of people who purchased property some years back and were ignorant of the facts

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 22:28:41 PM »
I get your point, but it's just like arguing that seven different guys at the Dalaman Duty Free told you that it's OK to take 3,000 cigarettes.

Offline loiner

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 22:53:11 PM »
Can someone explain why after April next year we can only have 1 year residencies next door neighbour is passport police he has not heard of it. That of course means nothing we are in Turkey

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 23:13:27 PM »
I think the truth is somewhere amongst all these views. What needs to be remembered is that foreigners buying property in Turkey is a relatively recent thing, and in 2003/4/5 it was obviously more so. I was asked countless times about inheritance and advised what I believed to be true - that a UK will would be accepted and for "belt and braces" get one saying pretty much the same in Turkey. Also, if no will was in existence, the property would pass to the spouse and failing that the children in equal shares.

This was the advice of a number of people - lawyers, translators etc and they all agreed on this. I don't feel in any way a fool for passing that information on, it was sought from the correct people and those people all confirmed this to be the case.

It took an actual instance of the situation to find the true procedure.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 01:07:35 AM »
Keith, agreed, in 2003/4/5 that was the case but can you honestly say that from 2006/7/8/9/10 20011/12/13 that the information isn't clear anymore? Not least due to the coverage here on CBF, Kalkan News, Fethiye Times etc.

Offline quackers

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »
Yes I wondered about that comment to loiner. Cant say I have read anythıng about that.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
After seeing the suffering of friends who lived in Fethiye and speaking to a well known member of this forum it was ONE of the factors contributing to us selling our property.. Having been advised to make a Turkish will it still took 2 years to sort out and when going through bereavement is the last thing she needed.. There is a man upstairs from us now that is going through the same nightmare and has been told that it could take another 2 years.. A Turkish will is just the start. It is also a VERY expensive procedure to go through...people are not fools to make a will. At the time it was what they were advised to do.. After seeing what they went through I am relieved we don't own the property now...

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
OK, I've read this thread carefully ... so what is the actual situation regarding inheritance? Will our children automatically inherit after we both kick the bucket, or what? We're still no wiser! Yes, we're fools, but help please.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »
I think in the search bar at the top there is loads on the topic of Turkish wills and nobody knows everything when they are buying property in Turkey.. Doesn't matter how much research you do.. The goal posts change all the time and there are always problems to contend with....good luck with your own problems... Anne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf