Author Topic: INR checks & Warfarin  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Menthol

INR checks & Warfarin
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »
The latest discussion of this subject that the search facility threw up for me was back in 2008, so apologies at dragging up something that many of you may have already answered.

This question was asked some 5 years ago but the very helpful link to a previous discussion that Scunner posted, now no longer works.

How easy is it to get a 6 weekly INR test in the Fethiye area? What are the costs? And how easy is Warfarin and Bisoprolol (beta blocker) to purchase?

Offline scorcher

Re: INR checks & Warfarin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
It's very easy and quick. I go along to the new Esnaf and the staff at the foreigners desk take your details and off you go to the waiting room. About a 15 minute wait and after a visit to one of the cafes the results should be back. I always have my yellow card with me at all times. Not sure how you get Warfarin etc. over there but someone will !

Offline Menthol

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 16:25:52 PM »
Ah cheers, Scorcher. That's a faster result than in the UK!

I can get 3 month and possibly longer supplies of my medication here in the UK, so it's not too much of an issue.

Offline Sea Cruiser

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 17:53:20 PM »
All the hospitals will do INR tests on request. From experience we find Letoon Hosiptal the most efficient.  Cost of test can be 21 lira but from time to time discounts can be 10.50 lira.  Results usually within one hour, you can either wait or leave them your telephone number or email address for the result.  Question.  Why every 6 weeks.  Your INR result can and will fluctuate wildly due to atmospheric temperature, consumption of alcohol etc.  Warfarin, known here as Coumadin is only produced in 5g and 10mg tablets if you are a regular user you will know it is difficult to balance your dosage as it is such a slow acting medication.  From experience we do a test perhaps two over four weeks if the result is stable nothing for probably three months.  Hope this helps.  This is the Turkish medication price list  http://www.ilacabak.com/indexen.php

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 21:22:14 PM »
Hi Aisha while we were there in sept we were recommended to the doctors on the main toad in ovacik Dr Tolgay. He was really good and advised us re sliks prescription. He told us what to ask for and to have a word with the pharmacist on the corner,which we did. We are able to buy the meds over the counter there, cheaper than prescription charges here.  The other good thing about that doc, is he does house calls too and is reasonably priced.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 23:44:09 PM »
Thank you Sea Cruiser. Every six weeks as that is how often I am currently being tested here in the UK as the Warfarin dose seems to keep me stable. But point taken about the climate difference. And as I take 3mg Warfarin for 2 days and 4mg for 5 days, the fact that they are sold in such high doses is a little problematic.

And cheers, Bernie. Very good to have a local doctor recommended.  I'll pop in and see him next week.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf