Author Topic: Help with hand luggage  (Read 8100 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Help with hand luggage
« on: January 16, 2014, 16:42:58 PM »
Hi all, can anyone tell me what constitutes hand luggage. Is it literally one bag.

We have always had 10kg, looked on paperwork and we have 5kg each.
We both have laptops, that's 10kg together,do they count and are ladies allowed a handbag with out it being counted as hand luggage.

Appreciate the advice.
Thanks Bernie

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Help with hand luggage
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 16:49:02 PM »
Handbag makes it 2 items - if you have one it will need to go in your hand luggage (at least till you pass the gate, Mrs Scunner puts hers in at the gate and it's out again before the flight takes off). The exception is Monarch scheduled (ZB code) flights who allow 2 items as long as combined they don't go over the weight allowance.

I'm assuming from the 5kg that you are flying with TC or Thomson. I have been forced to have my hand baggage checked in for being "too heavy" at more than 5kg (and charged, around £20 as I recall) on both. I have also many times never even been asked to put it on the scales.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 16:52:32 PM »
As have we Keith. It's a money making excercise for sure.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 16:57:26 PM »
It is. Being a pain in the ass when faced with jobsworths, we were once told we couldn't have an item of hand luggage on a TC flight because it was 7kg. "No problem" I said, "That's her (Steph's) bag and I have no hand luggage at all - so we're 3kg under!". No, not acceptable - 5kg maximum per item.

So I literally took a carrier bag from inside the 7 kg bag, filled it with half the contents of 7kg bag, she weighed both, and printed our boarding passes.

I then, to make a point, happily put the carrier bag of things back in the original bag (on her check in desk right in front of her eyes), thanked her and off we went with one 7kg bag. Ridiculous but true.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 17:14:36 PM »
When we flew back a few days ago she weighed my hand luggage it was 7kg, I was told I would have to pay so on the belt I opened the small case took 6 tins of ham out and put them in my pocket. Then back after she checked the weight

Offline cinders

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 17:40:00 PM »
I was once asked/told to remove a Bumbag which was around my waist... and told to put in hand luggage?
Stated it was not hand luggage but the lady said it was classed as a bag ... put this in hand luggage which was not weighed then removed it after check in, replaced round my waist ???  right hand left hand comes to mind.. :o  C

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 17:52:01 PM »
Great,it's going to be so difficult.
Have booked another box with parcel2go. I figure 20 quid for extra kg might as well have 25kg for 43 quid.
I,'ll take your advice and put a jacket with big pockets in,and try to sort it from there. Let's hope t cook are not feeling too thorough.
Thanks to everyone that has got me to this point without me losing it completely.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 18:14:13 PM »
It may be difficult, but you never know. Keep your hand luggage out of direct view and maybe they won't even be interested. Let them know you are moving out there full time and maybe they'll be softer. Just depends on who you get and how they are feeling at that time.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 18:25:21 PM »
We note that generally T.C don't bother with hand luggage, but occasionally they do.  Last time was when they had a sign up say all hand luggage would be weighed.  They where charging £14.00 per kilo for any extra weigh.
I must say 10kg is a lot, which airline was that with?   T.C. are always 5kg.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 18:36:01 PM »
Monarch scheduled are 10kg, easyJet unlimited weight as long as you can lift it into the overhead lockers yourself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf