Author Topic: Has your driving gone native?  (Read 11563 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: Has your driving gone native?
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 20:38:25 PM »
I would agree with him, Jacqui. Polite British driving just gets you nowhere.

I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel again in Fethiye - bring it on  8)

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 22:56:26 PM »
Polite British driving what a load of tosh

UK someone driving slowly you try to overtake he speeds up
Turkey he moves over

UK you overtake on a road more than wide enough for three cars oncoming car flashes lights at you
Turkey they make room for you

Just a couple of examples but UK drivers are far from polite

Offline Menthol

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 22:59:28 PM »
Must be just me then, Graham  ???

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 23:59:45 PM »
I remember pulling up at the traffic lights near the big market in town on my little scooter which was very shiny and always looking new (even after 3 years) and a car driver wound down his window and I thought he was going to compliment the scooter as had happened a few timed previously but said "hi - you English?" - "yes how do you know?" - he laughed and said "you are using your indicators"

That is honestly true !!!

Offline quackers

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
I have drıven over here for over 6 years and stıll drive the same way ı dıd ın UK ,calm and polıte and I use my ındıcators, I dont speed I wear a seat belt and never use my phone. I antıcıpate all the stupıd drıvers .There are some polıte good Turkısh drıvers as well. I love drıvıng over here.

Offline atinabay

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
First couple of years we hired a car, but I found it stressful and not very enjoyable. Felt that I had to grow another pair of eyes to keep up with the drivers there.... Obviously, its the way they drive there, so everything is the norm, but when you drive in the UK most of the year, its difficult to adapt. One year we spent 12 weeks there and I've got to admit, when I got  into my car back home, the driving felt so easy and relaxed.  Confession........ near the end of the holiday, I was tentatively swaying towards the "native" driving.     A kind of  "I can drive like that too, you know!"    :-[     Last year we opted for a scooter. Actually found it safer (you need to try it to believe it)  and more fun.  This will be my mode of transport in the future.  Apart from the fact its so cheap.   It costs 100tl per week and 20tl of petrol gets you out and about all week.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »
My little motto for driving in Turkey: "It's your country: it is always your right of way".

Has anyone driven in Istanbul? Not something I would fancy.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »
Has anyone driven in Istanbul? Not something I would fancy.

You don't drive in Istanbul - you join an amorphous car park and hope that eventually you'll be spat out roughly where you want to go.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
First couple of years we hired a car, but I found it stressful and not very enjoyable. Felt that I had to grow another pair of eyes to keep up with the drivers there.... Obviously, its the way they drive there, so everything is the norm, but when you drive in the UK most of the year, its difficult to adapt. One year we spent 12 weeks there and I've got to admit, when I got  into my car back home, the driving felt so easy and relaxed.  Confession........ near the end of the holiday, I was tentatively swaying towards the "native" driving.     A kind of  "I can drive like that too, you know!"    :-[     Last year we opted for a scooter. Actually found it safer (you need to try it to believe it)  and more fun.  This will be my mode of transport in the future.  Apart from the fact its so cheap.   It costs 100tl per week and 20tl of petrol gets you out and about all week.

I am sorry wild horse would not get me on a scooter.  I think you could be the safest driver in the world, but there is always the idiot in the car that will cut in front of you or knock you off the road.  We have seen many near misses with cars and scooters.  As I see it, you have some protect around you in a car, in a scooter you have none, not even protective shoes or clothing and in most cases helmets.  I don't care how cheap a scooter is, there is no putting a price on your life or your future health.   

Offline Ivan

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
If the oncoming vehicle flashes it's headlights at you it means ''get out the way i'm coming through''  and when turning left...
flashing your left indicator can mean that you intend to turn left, or pull out to your left. but here it can also be an indication to the vehicle
behind that it is safe to pass !!!! be carefull turning left...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf