Author Topic: Turkish Airlines - Security Risk  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Turkish Airlines - Security Risk
« on: July 15, 2014, 15:10:43 PM »
Let me be the first to say that I'm normally a supporter of Turkish airlines but a recent experience and their failure to even acknowledge my concerns has left me feeling less than confident :

A recent flight we took with TA to Malè in the Maldives took us via Istanbul and after touching down in Malè the flight was due to carry on to Columbo Sri Lanka. It became apparent after landing in Malè that our luggage was not there as all the other passengers had collected bags and departed the airport.

After a very stressful hour, the baggage handling clerk at Malè airport noticed that although we had tickets and boarding cards for Malè, our luggage had been labeled with the airport code CMB (Columbo, Sri Lanka) once the mistake had been discovered, the captain was contacted and take off delayed while our luggage was located and returned to us.

I view this as a very serious flaw in the security with Turkish Airlines that their check in system will allow passengers to board a flight for one destination and allow their luggage to be labeled and destined to another destination. I'm sure passengers with Turkish airlines would be horrified at the prospect of being on a flight with unclaimed luggage in the hold.

With the current level of terrorism around the borders here, I would have thought Turkish airlines would have taken my concern seriously, when in fact after writing to them nearly one month ago and sending them three requests to answer my concerns, they have chosen to ignore this matter, I can only assume in the hope that it will go away.

Maybe if they spent more time listening and responding to their customers and less time telling us all how great they are, then we might all be happier and more importantly, much safer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 15:52:53 PM by Rimms »

Offline Ray1951

Re: Turkish Airlines - Security Risk
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 15:44:25 PM »
A little worrying but I have to say that I think ALL Turkish airline companies surpass any other, for price, quality and service.  Whilst we are all aware of the steps taken re security at all airports, there is also a lot going on behind the scenes that we do not see but which are ongoing.  Whilst I was in Calis in June three girls arrived minus their luggage.  They flew with Thomas Cook.  Their luggage wasn't on the Dalaman flight and was later discovered to have gone on a US flight.  Now with the security surrounding flights to the US. this IS very worrying.  One day my 'time' will come and whilst I do not do anything to hurry this, I am not going to spend my time worrying about security at airports.  Best not to travel if you are over nervous about security.  I would imagine that with Turkey being the 'gateway' to Syria for these radical people then security will be stepped up.  As well as this, if you fly from a UK airport, the onus is on the UK airport deal, via their handlers, with passengers' luggage.  I have to say that I would be disappointed if I had taken the bother to write to a company three times and not to receive a reply.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf