Author Topic: Luggage  (Read 8565 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Luggage
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
Agree Stoop, our Samsonite hard shell cases have been with us for over 10 years and are still as good as new.
I have bought two new ones, but am passing the old ones on to members of the family. 
The largest hard shell case is just under 5 kilos.  They are great for anything that might be breakable in a soft suitcase.   Also the soft suitcases can be so easily opened with a knife by just slashing the material.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
They now do a hard shell with locks that weighs just 2.5kg. Costly but if you want the quality and lower weight it could be worth it to some.

Offline snoopper

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 13:59:44 PM »
Just to remind people. The aircraft hold is not heated and many electronic items can malfunction if subject to extreme cold. Hold temperatures can reach -50C and I have known camera's refuse to work after being put in cases.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 18:12:12 PM »
Agree Stoop, our Samsonite hard shell cases have been with us for over 10 years and are still as good as new.
I have bought two new ones, but am passing the old ones on to members of the family. 
The largest hard shell case is just under 5 kilos.  They are great for anything that might be breakable in a soft suitcase.   Also the soft suitcases can be so easily opened with a knife by just slashing the material.

That's exactly why I never deliberately put valuables or breakables in hold luggage!  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 20:25:02 PM »
Breakables could be G.H.D's bottles of perfume from D.&.P. Perfumes, any glass souvenirs such as the lamps that are sold in the Mozaik Bahce. pictures, vases etc., All impossible to put in a soft suitcase and all too heavy to put in hand luggage.   I do put all my valuable items in my hand luggage. However, breakable souvenirs go in my hard shell case. 

Offline sadler

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 20:55:47 PM »
Cheap copies from D & P Jackie, I would have thought you would be buying originals from the Duty Free and having them in hand luggage.   :o

Offline Steve A

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
I'm not advocating that anyone risk their valuables in suitcases as a matter of course, but just as an antidote to the stories where things have gone wrong.....

During our move this year we have safely transported two flat-screen HD televisions, a PS3, a PS2, a Wii, two laptops, two tablets and a quantity of camera equipment via our flights with Jet2. There was just no way we could have got it all in our hand luggage!
We have also brought,steam cleaner,ps3,DVD,CD Player,kettle,toaster,iron,sandwich maker you name it no problems at all.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
Cheap copies from D & P Jackie, I would have thought you would be buying originals from the Duty Free and having them in hand luggage.   :o

I did not say the D.&.P. perfume was for me. Just orders from friends and family.   However, wish I could get a copy of my favourite perfume at the D.&.P shop like the Duty Free, they do not sell it.
  I do always try new perfumes each time I go to the Duty Free in Aberdeen.  Phil aways gets me one.  I take it with me to Calis and use it there and then and then bring it back in my hard shell suitcase, so as it does not break.    ;)

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »
Strangely enough, in the 12 years we have owned our soft cases & the holdalls, even longer, we have not had any bottles etc broken. I suppose it is down to how well you wrap & pack!  8)

Offline IanK

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
Just to remind people. The aircraft hold is not heated and many electronic items can malfunction if subject to extreme cold. Hold temperatures can reach -50C and I have known camera's refuse to work after being put in cases.

Not sure about this.  I think in modern aircraft the hold gets the heat after the cabin - so certainly cooler but still usually 5-10 deg - otherwise your toothpaste etc would be a popsicle after a 4hr flight.

Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf