Author Topic: Mooring and keeping a small motor / day boat in Fethiye.  (Read 4538 times)

Offline happy_flyer

Mooring and keeping a small motor / day boat in Fethiye.
« on: February 16, 2015, 21:51:28 PM »
Has anybody ever had or have a small motor / day boat for just popping out into the bay for fishing.
I am thinking about buying a boat at some point and mooring it somewhere in Fethiye , maybe the new marina just down from the BP garage          ( Calis end of prom ) or somewhere along the harbour front nearer the town.
 Any ideas on costs and availability of spots or where to go to ask apart from the big marinas.
Thanks in advance.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Mooring and keeping a small motor / day boat in Fethiye.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 22:26:35 PM »
I can't help with your questions but at one time I thought of buying a large inflatable with
an outboard, taking it to and from the beaches on the roof of the rental car and keeping it
indoors when not in Turkey. No mooring problems / cost.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 22:59:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply Kevin3.
Yes I have thought about the boat on trailer and just launching it every time but we don't really have anywhere to keep a boat and trailer and the car doesn't have a tow bar or electrics.
Or  as you say an inflatable to go on the roof of the car but i feel i would want one bigger than I would be able to manage on my own.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
The last time inquired about mooring a small boat i was quoted roughly 500tl ayear at the mariner by the BP garage. As long as the boat is less than 5mtr long and the outboard is under 10hp you do not need any licence or need to register it.There is some smaller places around the other side of Fethiye where you can speak to the Restaurants that have jetties and work out deals regarding mooring there. There is also the small mariner by the last restaurant on the prom which i think is free it is worth asking at many places around the seafront but it depends on the location you feel is best for your needs.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 13:25:50 PM »
We bought a small boat a few months ago. As Mac2010 says, if it is under 5m there is no additional tax to pay (ours is 4.75m). It does however need to be registered with the harbour office and relevant paperwork completed/signed.

Mooring at the new marina by Arkaca is 75 lira a month, payable six months in advance; however, when we went to pay our current six months a few weeks ago we were told there is currently a waiting list of around 45 who want a spot there.

You *do* still need a licence to drive a small boat and the nearest place to undertake the relevant course now is Marmaris if you don't already have one that covers you. I can't give you prices or further details as Mr WB has a French licence that currently covers him. You could of course risk owning/driving the boat without one, but if the coastguard checks you, you will be in trouble.

As I understand it you also need a permit to fish. Many people do so without, but officially you are required to have one. Again, we're not interested in fishing so I can't give you any details.

Hope that helps.   :)

Offline IanK

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 13:58:23 PM »
I made some similar enquiries a few years ago - I think I was quoted around £500 for the Marina at the Ece Serey at the time - that was before the new one by BP existed so no doubt gone up now.

500TL by the BP sounds pretty good - might get me interested in this again.

Ian

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 19:15:37 PM »
The last time inquired about mooring a small boat i was quoted roughly 500tl ayear at the mariner by the BP garage. As long as the boat is less than 5mtr long and the outboard is under 10hp you do not need any licence or need to register it.There is some smaller places around the other side of Fethiye where you can speak to the Restaurants that have jetties and work out deals regarding mooring there. There is also the small mariner by the last restaurant on the prom which i think is free it is worth asking at many places around the seafront but it depends on the location you feel is best for your needs.
As Wordbird says, no matter how small your boat is, from personal experience, you WILL need to have a licence to drive it , IF you wish to stay within Turkish Maritime Law. Please beleive me, The Coastguard do not, and will not mess around !! Also, I would think very, very carefully before taking up a "cheap" mooring offer at ANY of the numerous restaurants or bars on the other side of Fethiye Bay, I used to keep our boat in our driveway, until I was offered " free ", yes, FREE, mooring in the little fresh water river which empty's into the sea at Karatas. The river mooring was the clincher, this obviously meant that I could flush the motor through with fresh water after each use, therefore preventing the motor from "salting up "!! I even got the offer of free fuel , from large drums at the rear of the cafe !! All was well until one day Lorraine and I drove around to take the boat out, and it was gone ! After 15 minutes, we saw OUR boat being used by Turkish fishermen in the bay. We had one hell of a job convincing these guys that the boat did, indeed belong to us. The next time we went to use the boat, there was a bloody great hole in the bottom ( double skinned cathedral hull ), the cafe owner said ; " big sea, he came, smash boat ". I took the boat back to our driveway, and subsequently sold it !!  BE WARNED !!

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 20:50:00 PM »
Oh blimey and i thought it was all about where to moor it ha ha never even thought about a licence to drive it or training to use a boat on the open sea.
How is it you can take over a 42 foot cruiser on the closed and very busy waters of say Norfolk Broads with just 15 mins of , do this to go forwards do this to stop and backwards and this to go left or right. This is how you tye to the bank and watch out for the tides.

I think i'll put all this on the back burner now then , far to much red tape for me.
Guess I'll have to stick with beach casting for now lol
Such a shame.#

Anyway thanks very much to everyone for the very helpful as usual information , I knew I'd get some sense on here. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf