Author Topic: Cash or Plastic?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Cash or Plastic?
« on: April 27, 2015, 18:41:28 PM »
For some years now I have been using a no-fee/no-loading debit card at ATMs. This means it costs me the same to pay cash as it does to pay with the best credit card. Talking to hoteliers and restaurant proprietors I had been shocked to learn how much they were charged for accepting the plastic I used to use. This persuaded me that I should, usually, pay hotel and restaurant bills with the folding stuff. What do you think?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Cash or Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 19:27:53 PM »
That great Turkish phrase always comes in handy if you're going to use cash. "Nakit indirim var mı ?"

If the answer is "Yok" or "Hayir", then use the card.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 23:16:49 PM »
That great Turkish phrase always comes in handy if you're going to use cash. "Nakit indirim var mı ?"

If the answer is "Yok" or "Hayir", then use the card.

Agreed, if there is no discount for cash , you wait for your money , my Turkish friend !! Always seems to work for us  !!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 23:41:39 PM »
The way the credit card machines work here is that the banks give you a limit of how much money you should take each month and you must exceed that to avoid a monthly charge of about 50-60TL. Our limit is 3000TL.

On top of that there is commission charged to the business of about 1.5% of the transaction for taking an overseas card and a bit less for a Turkish card.

As an aside if you are purchasing an item from a shop and you have negotiated a deal (discount) and then want to pay by card you can expect the shop to charge you the tax on top of the price you have negotiated or else pay cash.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
For every day shopping at the larger super markets there is no difference in price.For bill paying at restaurants there is normally no difference as you get the bill first before stating how you will pay.Purchasing items from small shops such as diy bits or clothes you can save a bit but not a great deal. The only reason cash is better is for the shop owner as they can play with the tax.The other advantage with a Turkish credit card is low interest rates and Taxit  which can be had in most properly run shops. Also you do not have to carry large sums of cash about instead it can sit in the bank for a month earning interest.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
In all the years we have visited Turkey,  I can only think of a few occasions we have used a  credit card.  One was for a couple of sofas and a chair, for which we did get a discount and we did not pay any extra to use the card.  One for a piece of jewellery.  The last one when we put in a new kitchen.   Even when we put in a new shower room and had the bathroom re-fitted, the shop asked use to pay cash and they would give us a discount.
We always use cash in restaurants and for general shopping as I know having had a credit card machine myself, that the charges put a dent in profits.  I used to pay a monthly fee to rent the machine and a percentage charge for all sales, which was drawn from my Business Bank Account every month.  There was even a charge for debit cards.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 18:28:35 PM »
Credit card charges depend on the bank you're dealing with. We pay 0.5 percent so next to nothing.

Smaller shops, restaurants and hotels prefer cash so they can keep the transaction of the books. So they won't have to pay 18 % VAT and their income tax.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf