Author Topic: Brown Sugar  (Read 2579 times)

Offline hubblebubbles

Brown Sugar
« on: August 30, 2015, 15:58:55 PM »
Proves I am never too old to learn. As I love to bake and use brown sugar a lot my daughter has informed me its much cheaper to make your own. To about 200 grams of white granulated sugar add a tablespoon of PEKMEZI   I use the Karadut but there are several different flavours. Mix well and leave for about ten minutes till the syrup is absorbed .You can add less or more depending on how dark you want your sugar to be. Works brilliantly .

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Brown Sugar
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 17:04:46 PM »
Marmite works well too !  ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 17:25:55 PM »
My Father used to work in Tate & Lyles in Liverpool.  He was always amazed that brown sugar cost more in the shops as brown sugar comes first and then it has to be refined into white sugar.  He used to say it was so easy to produce the brown sugar and the white sugar took a lot more processing.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 18:51:40 PM »
Same as wholemeal flour and bread.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
If sugar can be good for you then brown unrefined sugar is better for you. Making your own using white sugar... I'll stick to buying it. Thanks though, a useful tip anyway...

A money saving tip for Turkish shoppers, the brown sugar made into little cubes and heart shapes and sold in a box is almost half the price of loose bagged sugar for the same weight in the supermarkets.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
Yes I used to buy the boxes of cubes when I was there. BTW Did you know that if you put a couple of sugar cubes in your biscuit barrel or tin, the biscuits keep crisp for much longer.   ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
No I didn't Lotty  :)

Although I try not to buy biscuits but I'll remember it if I do and a packet looks like it's going to longer than a few minutes  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf