Author Topic: exchange rate in Turkey  (Read 20423 times)

Offline spo6666

• Paul
Re: exchange rate in Turkey
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »
I too, like Yoshi always check my money (twice) and have used Colin many times and never once have I had a problem with him.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 08:29:39 AM »
How do you think Colin makes his money, if he beats the Bank Rate??    I think we all know.
We would not use him on principle and  we care and are annoyed he has diddled many innocent tourists including member here.
Apart from all this, the basic fact is, he is breaking the law by changing money.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 20:59:06 PM »
We too have never used ' Colin' to change money cos of being warned about his diddling tactics over the years on CBF...
However whilst I am aware I am being dense I dont totally understand his tactic!
Derek has just tried to explain it to me and I am still not getting it, like my lovely hubby has pointed out I would have sucummbed to beiing swissed had I changed money with him because of this so there must be loads of folk who have been swindled by him over the years!  >:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 21:19:59 PM »
I have never used him but know 10+ people personally who have been ripped off by him.

I am wise to tricks in Turkey too, and I don't think he has a chance of ripping me off. But I won't ever use him, based on the fact that I know 10+ people who have been ripped off by him and I will not give business to dishonest people.

There is simply no need to - Dikmen for example I have used for 12 years + without incident, and without ever once hearing of an incident - and they are just a few steps along from "Colin". Oh, and as Jacqui mentions, work legally as an official licensed change shop - not hovering around outside their shop, acting like a pest to every single person who walks past.

He's a cheat and he is bad for Fethiye - not that he is any way bothered by that fact.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 21:33:14 PM »
I dont totally understand his tactic!

karennina - if the rate was two thirty nine (2.39) that's 2 + 30 + 9 and you would get 2 lira + 30 + 9 kurus

Yer man offers two thirty ten which obviously sounds more than two thirty nine - but he only gives you 2+30+1 kurus (2.30.10 without the zero).

Well I tried  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 21:37:22 PM »
And that is only one of a hatful of tricks.

I have spoken to people who insist they are yet another one who he has never ripped off - and when I tell them some of his tricks, it dawns on them that they have been. Had that conversation never happened, they would never have known.

Credit where it is due - he is exceptionally good at what he does.

Offline lizdev

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
We used him years ago when we first started to holiday in Fethiye.  The rate outside was good but when he gave us the lira it was lower I challenged him and he said that the higher rate was if you paid by Visa!!!!!  I stood my ground with him and as there were other people around he gave us the higher rate.  Never used him again.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
I think he is a master of deceit and As part of this I bet he's not really called Colin!

Offline marina

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »

He ripped us off once a few years ago.  It was a couple of hours after the event that we realised what he'd done. 
We've never used him since and wouldn't do so when there are enough legitimate exchange offices around.
I don't know how he still gets away with it.

Offline faymoore

• Enjoy your life,this is not a dress rehearsal!
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »
I think he is a master of deceit and As part of this I bet he's not really called Colin!

lol Steve A I bet you're right..possibly "Conin" but never "Colin" .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf