Author Topic: State of emergency declared for 3 months  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: State of emergency declared for 3 months
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 22:37:10 PM »
I am referring to tourists John F as to what we can expect. France has been put under State of Emergency, I'm sure many people will still be travelling there for holidays but will be extra vigilant.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 00:51:00 AM »
Yes but France aren't arresting the ruling party's opponents by the thousand.

Civil war beckons I'm afraid.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 07:23:18 AM »
Certainly civil war is being spoken about by a number of folks, but let's hope it can be averted.  Like it or not, this party was democratically elected and the way to get rid of them is via the ballot box.  While it'd be nice to see them toppled, I'm fairly sure that older Turks remember what happened after the 1980 coup - nearly 700,000 were arrested and over 500 sentenced to death (not all executed).  Look it up, there were some horrific actions carried out by the military over two or three years.

Unfortunately, what is likely to happen over the next few months will, I suspect, make the various opposition parties job a lot more difficult.  Little reginald will pass laws that would never make it through an ordinary parliament, and there's bugger all anyone can do about it.  If I was Kurdish, or an HDP supporter, I'd be worried.  Thinking about it, I'm neither but I'm still worried...

If restrictions are imposed that makes our lives more difficult as holidaymakers, ex pats or, in my case, a worker, then so be it.  They'll affect the ordinary Turk in the street for a lot longer, and to a far greater extent.  All we can do is wait and see how this pans out - I know that my diary for this week was full as of last Friday and what have I got done this week...  not a lot.  A week of gossip, speculation, concern and constant "he'll get back to you, he's in Ankara just now".

For the time being, if the sun is out, the beer is cold and the food good, just enjoy it.

JF

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 07:34:10 AM »
That's it John F nobody knows what the outcome will be. Just gossip and speculation. I do know what my in-laws have told me, they certainly don't want to go back to 1980. The people will fight for it not to happen.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 17:18:32 PM »

Well the Turkish Government has "temporarily" suspended the European Convention on Human Rights.      So the gloves are off. Dark days.  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf