Author Topic: Cappadocia  (Read 3630 times)

Offline philrose

Cappadocia
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
Just back from a road trip to Cappadocia thought you might like to see some pics..

Offline IanK

Re: Cappadocia
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
Excellent pics Philrose - hoping to do that trip some time soon.

Ian

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 13:51:24 PM »
The best holiday we ever had included a seven-day trip we took to Kapadokya. We went on a two-hour airballoon flight,starting at dawn, over the peri (fairy chimneys). Thanks for reminding me.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 18:10:00 PM »
Fabulous pics.  It looks such an amazing place

We booked our flights too late this year or we would have been there today with friends from our complex.  They have had me full of envy all day with their wonderful pics too

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 19:47:46 PM »
Lovely place especially the town Göreme. Nights are beautiful. Lovely pics philrose  :)

Offline IanK

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
Philrose,

can I ask how you got there?

From the opening line (road trip) I'm assuming you drove yourself, so how long did it take, was the route interesting / difficult etc?
Any recommendation for overnight stops etc (Im guessing its a 2 day drive)?

Thanks

Ian

Offline philrose

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 14:22:08 PM »
We did Antalya Side in the morning stopping at Konya overnight before going on to Gorome the next day we returned after three nights via Esparta stopping at lake Egirdir for one night on the return. The driving was relatively easy but long and with hindsight we would have probably stopped at Side to split the journey up a little more.

Offline lissa

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 15:45:50 PM »
Worth visiting Sagalassos if you are in the the Isparta area. This is close to Aglasun on the road south to Antalya.  Excavated site with a  Roman library with a large mosaic floor, also theatre and some temple walls. I think the museum in Burdur has artefacts taken from there.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 16:02:47 PM »

If you are travelling North on the D687 you pass through the lake town of Beysehir. It has a magnificent Selcuk mosque. Here's what I wrote about it at the time:

We went through a beautifully tiled entranceway into the lovely mosque. This is a wooden construction built between 1296 and 1299. The flat roof is held up by 42 cedar treetrunk columns with carved and painted capitals, with a pool in the centre, under what used to be an open roof - now covered by glass. There is a magnificent blue-tiled mihrab (prayer niche indicating direction of Mecca) and a carved walnut mimber (pulpit). After we had been admiring the building for about quarter of an hour we were approached by a man who introduced himself as the imam. He told us about some of the history and features of his camii. Then he said that, as it was ramazan, he spent much of the day singing. He took a step back, so that he was about four feet from us, and proceeded to demonstrate for a couple of minutes. It was surprisingly loud and powerful; quite magical. We felt very privileged. I recalled something that the Turkish guide of the film crew had told us in Selime; that the imam at Beysehir had won a national prize as the best religious singer in Turkey. When he finished I said, "I think you have won a prize for singing". Modestly he turned his head to one side and shrugged his agreement. He invited us to contribute to the mosque preservation fund. Unfortunately we had left wallet and purse in the car but I emptied my pocket of all the change I had which he happily accepted. When we left and returned shawl and scarf the woman outside the mosque she tried to sell Hilary some trinkets I tried to explain, "Yok para. Imam - para", that we had given the imam all our money. She clearly didn't believe me. Oh well.

Offline bells

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 16:42:45 PM »
Brilliant pictures.  We went there last May and had a fantastic time.  Stayed in a cave hotel for 3 nights.  Would definitely go again and spend more time there.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf