Author Topic: How crazy is checking in a gun with your luggage?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
How crazy is checking in a gun with your luggage?
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
American guy kills 5 people at the luggage carousels in Fort Lauderdale Airport. He had checked in his gun with officials.  So when he arrived he went to the toilet loaded the gun and came out and shot indiscriminately around the carousel area.   This guy was know to have mental health issues.
Only in the States could you check in a gun.  In the U.K you are not even allowed a bottle of water.  :o >:(

Offline littlereddevil

Re: How crazy is checking in a gun with your luggage?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 15:18:27 PM »
US is not the only country you can check in a gun. I have been in other airports where they have "firearm" checkins

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 16:05:42 PM »
Where are the other countries? never heard of this before, so interested to know.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 16:44:58 PM »
Turkey and the UK for instance. For those licenced to carry, they check-in firearms for internal flights.

Offline sadler

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 16:58:18 PM »
Jacqui, you can check a gun into most airports after going through major security. The thing is, it goes into the hold luggage, not the cabin luggage, so it secures safety in the cabin. In America, it is not illegal to own a gun, so these are frequently flown  with licensed owners, but in the hold luggage. It is also legal to transport firearms in most other countries, including U.K. for purposes of hunting or contest shooting etc. The thing is they are not allowed in cabin luggage so it prevents hijack. What happened in USA is that the gun was legally transported in the hold luggage, but at the carousel it was reunited with the perpetrator who then decided, for reasons not understood by us or other normal thinking people, to shoot people. I had a friend who regularly took part in shooting competitions, who always took his firearm with him from the Uk to other countries. The difference was that he was scrutinised at check in and throughout his journey. What happened in USA can happen anywhere. It is just luck that this hasn't happened before. Just think of items which are not allowed in cabin but are allowed in hold luggage. As soon as it hits the carousel in the arriving country, the luggage and owner are reunited!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 20:13:53 PM »
Apparently, this guy got the gun, which was transported empty and I assume this is he rule and then went into the toilets with ammunition to load the gun, so the question is, are people allowed ammunition too and where was he keeping it? 
I would have thought he would not be allowed to have a gun as he had mental health problems, but then, that is the States for you.

Offline sadler

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 20:19:48 PM »
This is America we are talking about. Just about everyone is allowed a gun there!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 21:34:48 PM »
Apparently, this guy got the gun, which was transported empty and I assume this is he rule and then went into the toilets with ammunition to load the gun, so the question is, are people allowed ammunition too and where was he keeping it?

Provided the weapon isn't loaded, the ammunition would be in the luggage with it.

He claimed his bag off of the carousel, went into the toilets and then loaded the gun with the ammunition. It's very easy to do if you're that way inclined.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 03:08:44 AM »

Jo'burg

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
One thing is for sure - the USA won't change the rules. They'll talk about it, some will want change but nothing will happen.

I've never seen a country so willing to let its people kill each other.

Love the country and th people but they've allowed th gun lobby to rule them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf