Author Topic: Flying to dalaman with Turkish airlines  (Read 2146 times)

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Flying to dalaman with Turkish airlines
« on: February 12, 2017, 13:45:06 PM »
I think this has been asked before, when flying from Manchester to dalaman via Istanbul are you taken back to the international terminal of dalaman to do passport checks or are they done in the domestic terminal

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Flying to dalaman with Turkish airlines
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 14:50:28 PM »
Passport check are done in Istanbul, but as any hold luggage is in transit in Istanbul, that will have to be collected in the international terminal at Dalaman. It's no great shakes at Dalaman at the mom, as a portion of the international terminal is being used for domestic flights, so all that happens is that you stand near a door in the partition wall & someone comes along with a key & lets you through. NB Duty free is available at Dalaman!!

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 21:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply and that was the next question duty free   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 22:12:38 PM »
Not entirely relevant but when has that ever stopped anyone on CBF... :D here goes...

When you travel one airport you have the customs bit at the arrival airport where you have to walk through with your luggage and you stand a chance of being pulled and having your cases searched.

When you are transit into the UK, say flying from the US into Heathrow - but you are transit going to Edinburgh - you don't see your bags till Edinburgh. You get your bags in the domestic arrivals hall and just walk out. So no customs check on you & your luggage.

That doesn't seem right?

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 22:34:44 PM »
If you wish to buy duty free in Manchester, ask that it be security sealed. That way, you can take it through domestic security in Istanbul without any bother

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
We flew with B.A to New York in December, a few years ago.  We started from Aberdeen, to Heathrow and then on to N.York, same on the way back We did not see our hold luggage.  On our return journey we bought two bottles of alcohol at J.F.K.  We were told to pick it up as we board the plane as it would be sealed and have a customs receipt and stamp on it.   We got it and took it on the plane at J.F.K..  At Heathrow we were taken from the plane by bus to another part of the airport and then to go through customs. At no time where we out of a secure area.  We were told by Customs we could not take the alcohol onto the flight to Aberdeen.  It is a long story, but we explained it was customs sealed and receipted in the States and we could not possibily have got it anywhere else, it was no use, they would not allow it.   They said they would take it off us and put it in a safe place in the hold. However, they said we had to put it in a bag.  My husband had a new leather bag he had bought in Fethiye.  He emptied it and put the bottles in there, we were told to pick them up at Aberdeen Airport.   When we reached Aberdeen Airport the bottles had gone missing.   When we got home, my husband had left the keys one of the suitcases in his leather bag.  We had to break the lock on the case.  After one week the bag and the bottles turned up.  Apparently one bottle hd smashed in the bag.  My husband made approximately 27 calls to Aberdeen Airport to pick up his bag and the remaining bottle. The phone was engaged, not picked up or he was put off by the staff.  Eventually, he went to the Airport and the bag was given to him, it was ruined.  Where was the other bottle he asked?  He was told it was cracked and the alcohol had leaked out and it was thrown away.
We put in a claim.  We were told we would get nothing by B.A. as we should not have brought the bottles of alcohol.   We contacted the Sunday Post Newspaper. They printed the Story. We had a call from B.A. They told us they were compensating us for the two bottles, my husband's bag and they were also letting us pick a new suitcase from the Antler Website.   
As a really strange conclusion to this story.   I was told by the girl who did my nails that her Father worked at the Airport.  He was asked by the staff in the B.A. Office would he drop off the bag and the bottle of alcohol to us as he lived nearby.  He told them it was not his job to do that and they should send a taxi to us with the items.
He then told his daughter that the bottle of alcohol was still in the Office and was drunk by the staff at their Christmas Party. There was no damage to it.  Of course we could do nothing about this as it may have endangered his job.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 13:19:59 PM »
We ended up landside at CDG a few years ago while transiting on a EDI to IST flight - actually very easy to do given that Charles de Gaulle airport is a festering sore of an airport.

Air France refused to let us board with our duty free from Edinburgh (even though it was in sealed bag) because we'd been landside.  Solution: they sold us a couple of boxes with foam padding inside for €12 and checked it into the hold.  They were marked "Fragile" and had the Load/Unload by hand only stickers slapped on them.

Got to Ataturk, went to the luggage office and quelle surprise, only one of the boxes made it.  Fortunately, it was the one with two bottles of Havana Club seven year old and not the one with the Baileys  :)   Reported it to the luggage office with no expectation of ever seeing it again.

The following day, a courier was at the house with the missing box.  Intact.  An email from the girl at the luggage office at Ataturk explained that the missing box wasn't actually missing, her colleague (who didn't realise there were two boxes) had taken it to one side to ensure its safety and had been waiting for us at the luggage office but somehow missed us - and I believe her!

Top marks to the luggage office staff at the 'Bul, again! 

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf