Author Topic: Name That Olive  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Name That Olive
« on: March 30, 2017, 18:59:23 PM »
I admit that the description that follows is, at best, sketchy. This is a longshot but someone may know what I'm on about. Imagine you are at a large Turkish market. You go to the olive stall where there are a dozen or so piles of olives laid out. But at the end of these is a square metal can with a round lid that contains much more expensive olives. These are black, soft, juicy, salty and with wrinkled skin. They are gert lush; the best.

Anyone know what are they called?

Online Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: Name That Olive
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 20:59:04 PM »
Gemlik olives named after the place. From Marmara sea area. My hubby thinks but many different depending on region.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 22:02:46 PM »
I think Rana is right about them being Gemlik zeytin.
Try Costco.

I love olives. But they have to be 'pure'. Not fanny-ed about with. No herbs or lemon or garlic and such.

My current favourite here in the UK are nocellara. A very bright green, 'fresh' tasting and generally unpitted olive from south west Sicily. They're only treated for 10 days and so retain a distinct crispness. Large tubs available from the deli fridge section in Costco.

My kids remind me of my shameful 'overheard in Waitrose' moment when I stood in the tapas aisle (in Waitrose funnily enough) and wailed,
'Where are all the unadulterated olives for goodness sake!'.
I know. How could I? A plain speaking Yorkshire lass like me.

Online Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 22:38:00 PM »
My hubby complains about the olives in England Menthol. Says you can't get them like in Turkey. Taste artificial and he has tried many different varieties.  Interesting to see if he likes nocerella olives.  :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 22:52:07 PM »

But at the end of these is a square metal can with a round lid

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 23:49:48 PM »
  I knew an Olive that was unadulterated, and she matched Colwyn's description.          ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
That's the fella, Scunner! Thanks to everyone for their replies. I suspect that I like the way they are cured as much as the olives themselves. In the UK t I like the Crespo pitted black olives but these would be no good for Menthol since they are marinaded with herbs. I may have found a source in the UK: £3.99 for 400g and £3.00 delivery. I'll let you know what they are like.

https://www.theturkishshop.com/shop/marmara-birlik-dry-cured-black-olives-400gr/

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »
Seems to be a problem with that website. Firefox, Avast and Edge are blocking it. Certificate revoked or summat.

Offline sadler

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
I think Rana is right about them being Gemlik zeytin.
Try Costco.

I love olives. But they have to be 'pure'. Not fanny-ed about with. No herbs or lemon or garlic and such.

My current favourite here in the UK are nocellara. A very bright green, 'fresh' tasting and generally unpitted olive from south west Sicily. They're only treated for 10 days and so retain a distinct crispness. Large tubs available from the deli fridge section in Costco.

My kids remind me of my shameful 'overheard in Waitrose' moment when I stood in the tapas aisle (in Waitrose funnily enough) and wailed,
'Where are all the unadulterated olives for goodness sake!'.
I know. How could I? A plain speaking Yorkshire lass like me.

I love these olives too Menthol. My favourite black olives are Kalamata. Both are available in Lidl and very reasonably priced.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
Seems to be a problem with that website. Firefox, Avast and Edge are blocking it. Certificate revoked or summat.
I have tried three or four different websites that were also blocked on non-functional. Are Turkish olives under cyber attack? Amazon is working but "out of stock" on all Marmarabirlik olive products.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf