Author Topic: Ovacik Member Introduction  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Maisie58

Ovacik Member Introduction
« on: July 20, 2009, 14:06:30 PM »
Dear All, I joined the forum a couple of years ago but cannot now remember if I introduced myself properly!  We have been going to our apartment in Ovacik now for 5 years and still never seem to get bored of the area.  We tried to contact the famous KayaKoy Old boy before we went in May this year to see if we could go on one of his guided walks. (But I had not enough credit on the forum cos I never posted anything!) Well that was a  mistake I won't make again!  We took our own walking tour intending to go from Kaya to Oludeniz and ended up climbing from Kaya village,  up the steep  rock faces until we got to the very top and we could not believe the drop to the other side - so it was another 2 hours descent to whence we came!   It seems we were off course and some may say off our heads too that day!! We had a few scratches on our arms and legs at the end. Not to be recommended without climbing gear!! The few Turkish people we asked all seemed to think it was easy, just follow the red paint signs - we only saw two. Aw, well, next time find a  proper guide!!  We find the forum here very useful and will try to post more in future. Thanks May

Offline Pompeylil

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 15:15:44 PM »
Hello Maise we are new to the site too
We did manage the walk alone from Hisaronu to Kaya and over the top to Olu Deniz!  You have to stay to the left hand side of Kaya and follow the red spray marks on the rocks also walkers before us have left little pyramids of rocks to help mark the way, can not remember their proper title!
It is a bit steep and hairy some times but with trainers and a good supply of water we managed the walk last October (08),  our daughters are 8 and 11 and managed it fine.  

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 19:16:36 PM »
maisie welcome to the cbf.kkob can be contacted on here,try for when you are out next time
bet you were both exhausted by the end of the day

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 19:56:41 PM »
Hi and a warm welome to the Forum.......If you want a real test of the leg muscles try the walk from Fethiye to Kaya going out past Kale Park. The first 70% is uphill all the way, but is is a tarmac road and well worth doing but not in the summer heat! :)

Offline Pompeylil

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
That one sounds like fun Tribalelder!  Will have to wait for the October half term thou, I think August will be a little warm to walk 70% up hill..... will see if I can check it out on google earth, to plan the route, won't tell the girls just say we are going to Kale Park for breakfast then carry on after that!  Once we had dropped down abit from Kaya towards Olu Deniz the route becomes a lot easier, we have a place in Ciftlik, does anyone know good routes up the hills behind there, we did take the hire car to Cengar once, but the roads were not good and we left lots of the car parts behind on the road (well it felt and sounded like it anyway)!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf