Author Topic: Broken Monitor  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Broken Monitor
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »
Could some of you with computer knowhow advise me on this.

The flat screen monitor of my Dell PC has suddenly stopped giving me an image when I boot up. The green light comes on to indicate that there is power supply but the montor's on/off button does not turn it off. It seems the monitor is responding since when I move the mouse around and scatter click where I guess the user icons are I hear the familiar jingle of windows starup.

Does this sound like something that could be repaired? Would it be worth it (it is about 4 years old)? Or would it be better to bui a new monitor? Would it need to be a Dell or are other brands compatible? It would be good to get it fixed before I go to Turkey next Monday.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Broken Monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »
First try to borrow a friend's monitor and connect it to make sure that it's your monitor that's the problem. This might sound obvious, but make sure you haven't accidently turned the screen's brightness right down. That could give you a blank screen.

A replacement monitor is pretty cheap to buy, if that is indeed the problem. It's probably not worthwhile messing about with getting the old one repaired. You may be able to get a very good cheap one if you take the time to check-out ads for second-hand stuff and, of course, EBay.

It doesn't have a to be a Dell replacement. (We've got a Dell PC, with a Philips monitor and Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:34:31 AM by KKOB »

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Broken Monitor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:07:24 AM »
Colwyn If it is the monitor check the guarantee, I had a Samsung monitor in the UK that broke I was going to buy a new one it was 34 months old, it was guaranteed for 3 years, I rang them up and they delivered me a new monitor by courier the next day
Mark

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Broken Monitor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »
Thanks KKOB. I didn't mention that the monitor indicator light is blinking. I Googled this and found it is a fairly common problem for my model (E173FP) and results from the transistors wearing out. I shall have to see if I can borrow a monitor to check this.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Broken Monitor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
I have borrowed a monitor and things now working. I sometimes wonder whether it is worth keeping on my with few hours a year for my old employer. But they have just let me have a monitor on several months loan because I often (well, sometimes) work from home. So I needn't worry about getting things sorted before I go to Turkey. I can help Hilary worry about the packing - the worst thing for her about going away; she hates it with a vengence.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Broken Monitor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »
Good result there then mate ! :D ;):D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf