Author Topic: calls from microsoft?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
calls from microsoft?
« on: December 09, 2010, 13:23:17 PM »
Just had a call from (their words) parent company of microsoft stating that my computer router is suffering from unwanted error reporting.

Unfortunately I could not understand the Asian lady of maybe Malaysian origins so could not quite grasp the name of the company. first she asked for a lady that had died 2 years ago (looks like BT have given me an old telephone number).

I am sure that I read on here or newpapers of such a scam going around at the moment but I can't find it.  

Scunner, was it you that posted something?  

Apart from the obvious, what do these Scums bother.

Offline Julesp

calls from microsoft?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 13:42:34 PM »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
calls from microsoft?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 13:47:14 PM »
Snap! that is the one that I am just reading, it makes me so cross, how many people really fall for this? but worse is my telephone number is ex directory, BT at fault now because of giving us an old number used by an old lady that was scammed into  every offer going.  To change my telephone would mean changing so much info, but if this keeps up maybe the only way to go.

Offline LeeGlo

calls from microsoft?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 15:33:43 PM »
Best thing to do IMO is as we used to do in the UK with cold sales calls, say "yes I'm really interested, but can you hang on one minute" then walk away leaving the phone off the hook and their bill clocking up the charges.

In the case of a computer scam like this NEVER EVER give anyone remote access.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
calls from microsoft?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 17:03:18 PM »
Loz I've been getting these calls for the last three weeks, and probably they have been trying our number for months but have got lucky as I'm off. the last call was from Adam from windows , I had a virus, let's just say I played a little game with him and he hung up on me. Very rewarding!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf