Author Topic: Alain Rolland - Irish or French ?  (Read 3753 times)

Offline maximumtom

Alain Rolland - Irish or French ?
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
Anyone who has watched Alain Rolland referee Welsh matches before will not be surprised by the sending off.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Ridiculous decision:(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
Alain Rolland.  Born in Ireland Mother Irish, Father French, Allain speaks fluent French and he works as a Mortgage Broker (in Dublin)... Says it all doesn't it!!
Incidentally, my husband says the sending off is the worst decision he has EVER seen in Rugby.:(:-\[:(!]

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:02:34 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »
As soon as I saw who was refereeing today, I knew we were in for a rough ride, but even Alain sunk to new depths today, spoiled a World Cup semi final, Wales would have made the final much better opposition than France will !!

That said,and sour grapes aside, I feel the boys have done us proud and made the World Cup a great competition, their performances on the field and their behaviour off the field have been exceptional, I think the team have gained the respect of all other nations (particularly the S. Hemisphere sides).

Good news for Wales and even better for World rugby [^]

Offline barry44544

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 17:29:22 PM »
I thought it was a very fair decision. He clearly lifted the man and slamed him.
Cant blame the ref for doing his job.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 17:34:19 PM »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 18:28:13 PM »
Having ranted about the ridiculous decision, I have since read the IRB directive which left the referee with very little choice but to show the Welsh captain a red card.

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 18:30:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by barry44544

I thought it was a very fair decision. He clearly lifted the man and slamed him.
Cant blame the ref for doing his job.

Spot on Barry,rule was brought in last November,stupid foul which ruined it for propbably one of the fittest teams i have seen.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 19:06:46 PM »
O.K. after speaking to my husband, ex Rugby player.. and wait for this, likes Rugby more that Football.  He says the ref should have given a yellow card. Also the player has only been given a 3 match ban, the smallest punishment possible, which shows certain people in high places maybe agree a yellow card should have been given.
Valleyboy, add a cockerel under the refs arm!!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 19:24:44 PM »
Jacqui:

"Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB's zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:

- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared' into the ground (red card offence)

- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player's safety (red card offence) - For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient

Regular directives to Unions, Match Officials and Judicial Officers have been issued to reinforce the IRB's zero-tolerance stance regarding dangerous tackles and the promotion of player welfare.

The policy was again reiterated to team officials at a Team Managers seminar in Auckland two weeks before the start of Rugby World Cup and during the Tournament and there have been a number of other Tip Tackle cases at Rugby World Cup 2011."

The fact that their was no intent and/or malice in the tackle is irrelevant as far as the directive is concerned.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 19:40:02 PM by Highlander »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf