Author Topic: Quick reminder for MB plate owners  (Read 9421 times)

Offline Dutchie

Quick reminder for MB plate owners
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
@Diverbaz,
As a foreigner you can only own a MA-MZ vehicle.
You can't have a Turkish licence plate in your name unless you have dual citizenship.

Offline starman™

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
Some foreigners decide to avoid the misafir plate by registering the car under a Turkish nationals name or a company name.
Basically we have 3 cars. 2 are owned by Turkish companies for which we are perfectly legal to drive. The other is registered under a friends name but we paid for it and keep it ourselves and drive all the time for which there is no problems what so ever.

MA through to MZ are all the same and are just simply assigned to foreigners. Some people dont wish to be singled out this way as it just advertises that the car is owned by a foreigner. This sort of system outside of diplomats doesnt occur in other countries like the UK.
I remember a few years ago that hire car companies in Florida had to change their plate system as tourists were being targeted by villains.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 13:35:02 PM »
quote:
Non MA-MZ plated cars can be driven by non Turkish nationals and doesnt have to be hire car or be a dual citizen. That bit is rubbish as I have been driving a non misafir plate car for almost 20 years and so has my wife and 100s of others I know.

quote:
Some foreigners decide to avoid the misafir plate by registering the car under a Turkish nationals name or a company name.
Basically we have 3 cars. 2 are owned by Turkish companies for which we are perfectly legal to drive. The other is registered under a friends name but we paid for it and keep it ourselves and drive all the time for which there is no problems what so ever.

20 years driving a Company car, putting another car in a turks name!!!! What I put was not "rubbish" then for the average foreigner not working in Turkey.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 13:35:58 PM by Diverbaz 1 »

Offline starman™

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 13:39:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diverbaz 1
Foreign nationals can only drive Turkish plated vehicle if it is a hire car or they hold citizenship/dual citizenship.

basically saying that normal registered cars cant be driven by foreigners unless they are hire cars is not true.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 14:02:20 PM »

OK, I bow to your superior knowledge, Foreign nationals can only drive Turkish plated vehicle if it is a hire car or they hold citizenship/dual citizenship or WORK here.

Offline starman™

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 14:35:08 PM »
I didnt say work. Foreign nationals can drive normal plated cars (obviously not military or other goverment branches) aslong as they have the proper type driving license. doesnt matter if you work here or not.
Why not change your reply to...
Foreign nationals can only drive Turkish plated vehicle if they have a the correct driving license (ie the correct groups).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 14:37:15 PM by starmanâ„¢ »

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 15:03:31 PM »
So what you are saying is I have a Turkish driving license I can drive a turkish plated vehicle, and do not need to have a MA-MZ plated car?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 15:08:45 PM »

Offline starman™

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 15:10:56 PM »
You said foreign nationals can not drive cars in Turkey unless they are M plated or hire cars. Doesnt matter if you have a Turkish DL or a UK one aslong as your license says you are ok to drive that type of vehicle. It doesnt state anywhere that a Turkish national is not allowed to let a foreigner drive their car.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 17:25:22 PM »
I´m just a Dutchie but isn´t there a difference between driving a car and owning a car?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf