Author Topic: Best Support Bands  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Best Support Bands
« on: December 05, 2011, 16:07:50 PM »
Taking gigs even further - have you ever been to a gig and the 'undercard' has excelled, or even upstaged the band you actually paid to see?

I can think of two straight away - saw Manic Street Preachers at Wembley Arena, not knocking them they were superb, but possibly outdone by a support band I had little interest in - Catatonia. They were fantastic.

Also MK Bowl, free tickets to see ZZ Top - a few support acts, the last before the headline act being Bryan Adams (pre-Robin Hood but probably only just). I can safely say I have never seen so many people leave just before the top of the bill band came on. We stayed for a handful of songs, then left. They were simply no match for Bryan Adams and they should have been supporting him really.

Offline screamlead

Best Support Bands
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 22:35:47 PM »
Massed concert Bands of the British Army supporting Bonnie Tyler and Status Quo - Last Berlin Tattoo 1991!

Offline janmack

Best Support Bands
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:08:46 AM »
Like you Keith I loved Catatonia supporting the Manics at the Arena.  
Also watched the brilliant Texas when they were starting out supporting Runrig...who'd have thought!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Best Support Bands
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »
Going back even further in time, my first year college rag ball had Gordon Giltrap (who??) as the headline, but he was upstaged by the support, Queen.

A few years later, I took my brother & sister-in-law to see Chris de Burgh (their choice) as a Christmas present, he was OK, but we were all blown away by the, then unheard of, Runrig

Offline valleyboy

Best Support Bands
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 16:29:49 PM »
Saw Deep Purple about 4 years ago, in a "let's top the coffers up before we're too old tour", and they were absolutely garbage !, however they were supported by an equally aged Peter Frampton and he was outstanding !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf