Author Topic: Speeding fines.  (Read 3582 times)

Offline scouser2

Speeding fines.
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
We imported our car in to Turkey in 2006. As we have had to return to the U.K. we decided to sign the car over to customs.All the paper work was done and the car was duly deposited at Dalaman, all that needed to be done was for the car to be signed off my passport by the police......Here is the rub.
After 5 years of driving in Fethiye with no speeding tickets or parking fines, I was 'found' to owe close to 500TL for speeding tickets and parking fines.
I reckon the police pension fund must be running low.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Speeding fines.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 18:33:50 PM »
You often don't find out about fines until you go to pay your vehicle tax at the Maliye.

Offline starman™

Speeding fines.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:14 AM »
A lot of fines come via the post or if they get lost and unpaid then the amount increases. Police use various ways to trap speeding motorists like unmarked cars parked facing the wrong way on a road, jotting down plates numbers of cars passing by whose drivers are talking on the phone. Been caught this way a few times.
The biggest headaches now is that if you go over 70 in the tunnels here, you get a 290 lira fine.

Offline scouser2

Speeding fines.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
I know that you only realise that you have incurred a fine when you go to pay the road tax, but the point I was making was...having been driving there since Dec 2006, these are the first (and last) fines we have had. Just seems strange,as we used to pay our road tax 6 monthly.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Speeding fines.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Sounds like a stitch up to me.
Didn't I read somewhere that there is a government web site where you can key in your reg no and some other details and it will tell you if you have any outstanding fines ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:16:40 AM by Ian »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Speeding fines.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »
It always seemed odd to me that you could be fined for speeding and nobody stops you, shows you the evidence or anything at all at the time of the alleged incident - then you find out months later when paying a tax. Of course we just pay it but I can't imagine such a system getting too far if it was suggested for the UK.

Offline ceni

Speeding fines.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Maybe the customs man needs a new washing machine or a bar bill paying off   :))))

Offline starman™

Speeding fines.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 13:54:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

It always seemed odd to me that you could be fined for speeding and nobody stops you,

Happens often up here. I have been fined 3 times for using my cell phone going down Barbaros bulvard here in Besiktas. There is a rozzer with a notebook somewhere that just jots plate numbers down and sends fines for this.
Also on my commute home, on one particular stretch of the motorway there is a car parked up facing the wrong way with a radar gun and they do the same but at least all the fines get mailed to me within a couple of weeks. There are also cameras and red light cameras around that actually take a picture of you in the act.
If you dont pay it, then it comes up when you try to get a clean sheet for when you do your MOT. Had this happen to me before.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Speeding fines.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 17:22:01 PM »
'Red light cameras' that 'catch you in the act'?

dirrrrty ;-)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Speeding fines.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 18:02:48 PM »
I cannot see anything wrong in being fined for using a phone whilst driving .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf