Author Topic: Wonderful Wiggins !  (Read 2978 times)

Offline valleyboy

Wonderful Wiggins !
« on: July 12, 2012, 14:03:24 PM »
I must admit cycling is a sport I've never really been interested in particularly to watch on television, however, whilst I've been "laid up" lately due to injury I have not fallen into the daily Jeremy Vile trap, but I have been seduced by the Tour De France coverage !. The skill and fitness levels on these guys is truly amazing, and the different aspects of the competition quite enthralling !.

In particular the performance by one Bradley Wiggins an incredible individual who has worn the coveted Yellow Jersey for the last few days, and is fancied to be Great Britain's first Tour De France winner; still a long way to go but the boys looking really good !.

If you enjoy sport and have got the chance check it out, even more interesting with a GB guy in the lead !, I'm 53 years of age and I've just asked the "missus" if I can have a bike for my birthday !!   ;)  :)

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
Re: Wonderful Wiggins !
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 14:29:18 PM »
My husband is a great TDF fan and since moving here, he has been able to watch it everyday and is very happy. I love Bradley especially when in yellow lycra!

Mind you Mark Cavendish did so well to finish first in stage two considering he normally has a team helping him to win a stage and this year the Sky team are all focused on Bradley. Not forgetting Chris Froome who is having a fabulous Tour especially hs time trial.

I will certainly be cheering on Bradley to win though, he going to do it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 16:34:07 PM by hotlips »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 14:35:54 PM »
Indeed a great effort to date. I hope he can keep it up. It will be a magnificent achievement if he makes it.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 15:37:09 PM »
Time trials very exciting earlier this week ! and really enjoying the mountain sections in the Alps !, great section today, Team Sky looking good and really looking after Bradley working toward the "battle" at the finish, great stuff fair play !   :)

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:48:37 AM »
GB 1 + 2 now ! - team mate and fellow Brit Chris Froome gone into 2nd now !, good stuff !!   :)

Offline martinp2502

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
I'm a big fan of the TDF and watch it for hours. Bradley is the man at the moment and Chris Froome is doing an astounding job leading Bradley around plus getting himself into 2nd overall. Todays stage is going to be a killer, 226km with 2 tough climbs.

The suffering they go through makes footballers look like squealing nancy boys.

Also every year I watch it I say i really must have another holiday in France, the camera work is stunning.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 13:40:54 PM »
226 Km ! with climbs like that !, astounding fitness levels, maximum respect to these guys !.

Agree about the scenery Martin, lovely, and also enjoying the fans on the roadside, is it traditional to have that level of craziness ??  :), some of them in full fancy dress, or in their underpants with traffic cones on their heads !!, they all seem to have a lot of fun, it is great to see a sport where you can get so close to the participants (although some seem to get far too close sometimes !), which doesn't seem to please some of the riders !.

Overall a great event, I am converted !, straight to the bike shop when my foots healed !   ;)  :)  :)

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 14:30:50 PM »
Froome did a great job for Wiggins yesterday.Still a long way to go,but so far so good.  :)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 14:47:48 PM »
My nephew was originally named in the Scottish cycling team for the Commonwealth Games and then missed out and he thinks Wiggins is a different class and totally dedicated and a gentleman - great to see us producing the best in the world - who cares about football  :)

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 19:20:47 PM »
Crikey Ian your nephew must be good !, and agreed , Bradley does come across as a great guy, apparently it's one of the duties of the Yellow Shirt holder to do press conferences and he really laid into a reporter the other day who insinuated that no one could have those kind of fitness levels without using "illegal substances", the afore mentioned Mr. Wiggins really made him look pretty small with his passionate (to say the least) response to the accusations. Good for him I say !!!- and he's got some crackin' sideburns to boot !!!  :D  :)

Another Brit (Scot actually), David Millar won the gruelling 12th stage today, Bradley still holding the Yellow Shirt !!. All good stuff.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf