Author Topic: Another break ın  (Read 12506 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Another break ın
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
I really don't know if it's any better or worse than it's always been but the reporting of incidents has really taken a higher profile, with the creation of a number of Internet groups dedicated to crime and break in's, people are now being warned about suspicious vehicles or shifty looking characters. I think it's becoming easy for people to get this out of proportion.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 12:42:04 PM »
Those were my thoughts R..and maybe some of the reports are duplicated. I am sure this must have always gone on but as there are more and more properties built this will add to the burglary figures... Telling people to lock themselves in their bedrooms is what would scare me and I am sure others....

Offline quackers

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
And I for one do not want to live in a vılla that is more like a prison. Burglary ıs a fact of life in any country .

Offline WendyA

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
Also if you lock the bedroom door on the inside, leave the key in it if you feel safer.  Same if you have a livingroom door where the interior has a lot of windows and the  exterior leads into a hall with no windows.
I totally agree with Rimms, better to be safe at home when there are so many burglaries daily than to worry about an earthquake, when the last one was over a year ago.

Wendy, the earthquake was very scary I agree, but by the laws of average and statistics a big one is likely to happen once every 50 years and experts believe that was our big one....
The burglaries are happening on average every night, some nights 3 or 4 being done.
Get the alarm, and like was said already the earthquake advice is to stay indoors and crouch down under a table, or by something solid, like a washing machine, end of your bed etc.

Not sure that we can say another 'big one' isn't likely, but I do get your point, Kayakebab - along with others' about not feeling we have to 'lock ourselves in'. I do feel that, as 'Mercury' says, we are probably putting potential new buyers off with threads like this.  I think common sense should prevail - I have door and window locks, and a fitted alarm, which I part-set at night, but I really don't want to feel scared in my own house - or why would we want to go to Calis?  Does anyone know if the police are actually trying to do anything about this if there seems to be a bigger speight of break-ins than 'usual'?  I'd like to think they were! Its not going to encourage tourism!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
I am sorry to say there is a huge thread on the T.A. Forum about break-in's in Ovacik/Hisaronu.  It seems to be a really big problem up there and there are so many complaints that the police do not want to know and don't want to give out incident numbers, so people are not getting paid out on their Travel Insurance.  All these cases involve tourists renting villas.   One point is, travel insurance will not pay out unless valuables are kept in a safe and lots of the villas in the Ovacik area that are being rented out have no safes, some have no lighting outside or proper locks on door and windows, and sad to say, peoplle writing on these Forums are saying the villa owners don't want to help at all if there are break-ins.  It seems to be so bad a lot of people are saying they will not return to Turkey.  One guy on holiday in a Villa in Ovacik was broken into twice.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g609055-i10906-k6621701-Hisaronu_and_Ovacik_villas_Robbers-Hisaronu_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
Contrary to popular belief not everywhere is a burglars paradise in The UK either.. We have moved to an area where it is possible to leave you doors and windows unlocked and in fact we forgot out back door had been left unlocked for over a week... People leave their windows open day and night all Summer.. We have spoken to most of the neighbours and they have lived here some of them for over 20 years.. Not one break in... Its peaceful too which helps...Maybe its because it is on a park home site but the whole area surrounding us is a low crime area too. It was one of the stipulations when coming back to The UK that I wanted to feel safe in my own home especially now we are coming up to pension age..  We lived in Fethiye over there and that was quite a low area for break ins...When we first went we had 2 attempted break ins and I swore I wouldn't move there full time but we did of course and were never troubled again.. We only heard of about 3 after that and one was the policemans house across the road.. We didn't however live in a holiday area...

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
Not sure if you have Facebook Wendy but there is a group for Fethiye neighbourhood watch which Pauline Elliott has started and several of us coordinators are helping her.
We're having regular monthly meetings and the Police and local consulate and Istanbul consulate have attended.

The Polis are being extremely helpful and are giving us their full backing and support, the Jandarma unfortunately don't want to be involved and were having problems establishing why this is and Pauline has written to various officials to try and resolve this.

It really is a huge problem at the moment and many different avenues are being looked into to try and establish how and why, any patterns, who else may have had access to these properties, know where people are etc.
Members of the group have set up a surveillance system of alerting others to strange characters lurking around, cars going slowly, methods being used to alert others etc.
Neighbourhood watch signs to put on your gate can be ordered through your local coordinators at just 5tl each.

So, there really is a lot going on behind the scenes.

As a group it's been decided that because of the huge volume of break ins, in holiday rental properties, sometimes. 3 or 4 a night,  the onus for security is on the owners to ensure their tenants are safe, and we don't have sufficient resources to deal with the rental properties, for a number of reasons, for example... The property gets broken into, they go back to the UK and we are unable to get them to complete incident forms.
The incident forms are the key to us seeing if there's patterns, reporting quotas to the Polis and we can only do this if they're completed.

Another thing that happens.... People renting sometimes don't even know their address. In fact many properties on the much targeted back roads don't even have sokak numbers, a possible reason for being targeted as they know they're unlikely to be reported.
The people staying there don't speak Turkish.
The call centre is not in Fethiye, it's in Mugla, so burgled person phones up, they don't speak Turkish, they can't give a sokak number because they don't know it, or there isn't one and they don't know what's nearby
With the best will in the world the Polis cannot send a patrol round to try and catch them in these areas.

As a result of neighbourhood watch were getting the message out to people to increase their security. Not many of the burglaries happen to Turkish people, not because Brits are being targeted, but because Turkish peoples houses are so secure they're harder to break in to.

Measures people can take include:

Learn at least the basics for ' I've been burgled, there's a burglar in the house, My address is, or I live near' write it down and keep it handy.
( if you rent your property put this in the welcome pack, ok it's not what people want to read but..)
Beware of the dog signs
Top and bottom bolts on doors
Locks on outside gates
Make sure your metal bars are done properly, some are so easy to remove
Don't advertise on Facebook where you're going or check in where you are
Don't brag in bars about where you live and how much jewellery etc you have ( it happens! )
Don't leave even the smallest of windows open, however high up
Ask transfer companies to collect you from a landmark
Get out of taxis a little bit earlier and walk the rest
Get an alarm
Get window and door alarms
Don't give spare keys to anyone you don't fully trust or know well and if you have to, eg for a property maintenance company - don't use a company that has them hanging on the wall with an address tag on them.
If you rent change the locks when you move in
Don't leave tools, garden tools etc outside, they could be used to smash their way in.
Lock interior doors when you're out ( or in , we do ) to contain the burglar in one room if possible
Just basically make it as hard as you can for them!

Loads more ideas people can add I'm sure.

P.S.
I didnt mean to give the impression another earthquake couldn't happen, just trying to show the likelihood of an earthquake big enough that you might might need to get out compared to the likelihood of being burgled.

Offline WendyA

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 19:44:17 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to send such a full reply, Linda.  I have found the Facebook site, but won't be able to attend the next meeting, I'm afraid.  Good luck to you and  let's hope the Polis are able to catch a few of them, which might, hopefully, deter others!

Thanks again.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 19:49:10 PM »
You're welcome Wendy. Hopefully see you at the following meeting instead.
All welcome, the more the merrier, please look out for the group and invite your friends and hopefully see lots of people at the meetings.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 21:09:36 PM »
FHS - your post looks suspiciously like an advert.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf