Author Topic: WiFi Router: Catch 22  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
WiFi Router: Catch 22
« on: September 27, 2013, 15:58:09 PM »
Just for once this is not a plea for help. I have sorted the problem. I just thought my experience would bring a wry smile to some folks.

My Belkin WiFi router has broken - the input channel no longer connects to the output channels. When I say "my" router, I mean the one my younger daughter left behind when she moved out of our house (at last!). I phoned the company and was on the line for over an hour (cost on 0844 = £6.13) talking to, first, a Technician and, then, a Supervisor before they decided my router was broken. However, it was agreed that, provided I emailed proof of purchase, I would then be sent a replacement. Considering the router was five years old I thought this was a pretty good deal.

It was then that the complications began. My email was not accepted. It had to come from the original buyer (my daughter) and via her original email address. She sent an email on my behalf but had a reply saying the company could not process the email. She would have to resend it inserted between the lines on the company's reply. She was scathing about the technical expertise of a company that cannot receive normal emails ("These people are stupid" ;). Nevertheless, eventually, she had a reply saying "Please print out the postage label below and send broken router to us" which she forwarded to me.

Here is where Catch 22 comes in. In order to print out the label for supply of a WiFi router I had to connect to my printer using a ... WiFi router. Doh! See if you can compose a sentence that includes the words "wall", "bang" and "head".

[Fortunately my daughter was able to print off the label and deliver it to me minutes before she had to set off to Italy on holiday. Thanks Dear].

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf