Author Topic: Well, we did it ......  (Read 56739 times)

Offline Susiepink

Re: Well, we did it ......
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »
Ah, Menthol I am so excited for you.
I arrived in Uzumlu for my new life last weekend. Being a lone female I have played it rather cautious and have rented my UK house out, and rented over here for 6 months to see if I like it. I already absolutely love it and agree with everything you say about Turkey. Unfortunately I have now backed myself into a bit of a corner, I want to buy here but can't until my place back home is sold, and when my rental runs out in 6 months time I won't have anywhere I can afford rent at the summer rates !!! Dohh...
In the meantime I look forward to your next chapter, and can't wait for pictures x

Offline Menthol

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 15:35:38 PM »
Oh, Susie! What are you going to do then?

Offline Marggie

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 16:51:25 PM »
Enjoy your new life but I think you have been very wise to rent first.  It is early days yet, don't burn yours boats, winters in Uzumlu can be extremely cold, so suck it and see how you feel at the end of the winter.

Don't worry about getting a rental property  six months from now, I know that in Fethiye they are available all year round and at a reasonable rent - I am assuming you would be happy to live amongst Turks.  As a lone female I think you are much safer in a predominantly Turkish area than in apartments and villas which are used mainly for the summer season.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.   :)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2013, 17:03:17 PM »
Thanks, i know it makes sense to see the winter out first. It would be so much nicer with a log fire and some English tv and I can't get either where I am. I hope to adopt a dog eventually too!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 00:25:50 AM »
It would be so much nicer with a log fire and some English tv and I can't get either where I am. I hope to adopt a dog eventually too!
Susiepink, I noticed our neighbours, an English couple who live in Koca Calis permanently, have Internet and connect their laptop which has IPlayer downloaded onto it, via an HDMI (?) cable. They were watching 'Strictly Come Dancing' - perfect picture on their large screen TV. They watch all their favourite English TV programs that way.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 02:33:50 AM »
Don't worry about getting a rental property  six months from now, I know that in Fethiye they are available all year round and at a reasonable rent - I am assuming you would be happy to live amongst Turks.  As a lone female I think you are much safer in a predominantly Turkish area than in apartments and villas which are used mainly for the summer season.
Wise words.  Rentals in this area are ten a penny, in fact its a renters market all year round really - and after a winter in the styx of Uzumlu, chances are you'll be gagging for a wee place back in civilisation by about March next year (if not before!).

JF

Offline Menthol

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 04:51:44 AM »
CHAPTER 3: The Obsession

I needed to check out another area in Turkey. Needed to see if it had quite the same effect on me as Fethiye. Needed to understand why, as someone who had always vowed never to holiday in the same place twice, I now couldn't understand why I'd want to holiday anywhere else.

I booked us a week in November in Antalya. We stayed right on the edge of the Old Town in a lovely big hotel and really got into the vibe of a larger Turkish city. Bright sunny days and cool rainy nights. We really enjoyed it. Two days after we returned, I booked our next trip to Fethiye.

During the 6 month wait for the next holiday, I whiled away my spare time checking out property websites in the Fethiye area. This fast became a ritual of ensuring I had seen EVERY emlak site within the Mugla region. I became adept at mentally exchanging lira into pounds and Euros into sterling and could tell from the glance at a thumbnail photo and a scan of a tortured brief translation, whether a property was of interest to me or not.

I created files and spreadsheets and my inbox was full of short, stilted messages from Turkish estate agents with a stream of badly taken wide angle photographs of bathrooms and particularly the toilet. I marvelled at the many marble floors and winced at much of the furniture.

Exotic sounding and unpronounceable place names became as familiar as my hometown, as I poured evening after evening over Google maps. No one ever wanted Street View of the Fethiye region more than I did. Potentially suitable properties were 'blue/yellow pinned' on 'My Maps' along with a url link to the estate agent website.

TA was only slightly curious. Me hogging the laptop wasn't exactly unusual and anyway it meant he could watch all those rubbish TV programmes that I didn't have the patience for.

'Are you serious about actually wanting to buy somewhere in Turkey?' he ventured one evening.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
 :-\I realise you have to sleep at some point...but come on..i,m enthralled.  : :)

Offline angela

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 14:00:44 PM »
This is like Listen with Mother, and now children..........  ;D ;D

Offline Menthol

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 15:33:36 PM »
CHAPTER 4: A Day Out With An Agent

TA was unable to come with me on the next trip out. Very inconsiderate of him. The trip became a me, my Mum, my daughter and my youngest son trip. I was very keen to see what they thought of the region. My eldest son had already become a 'fan of Turkey' after one visit.

It was May. It was hot. The Calis Plaji mosquitos emanating from the Kus Cenetti area next to our apartment, were ruthless and fierce. Sinkov, lemon cologne, Repel, 80% Deet, applied several times a day and filled the bedrooms with choking fumes. Still my daughter and I resembled twitching paintball victims with huge glowing pink blotches.

The day I met with the Agent for our pre-arranged tour, was 42C and I was a spotty, sweaty, squelching mess concerned that my Mum would be able to withstand the heat. Kids were packed off to Fethiye for the day, me and my Mum enjoyed window seats in a leather upholstered, fully air conditioned Nissan Qashquai.

We toured Calis, Fethiye, Ovacik, Ciftlik/Koca Calis and Uzumlu. I have no idea how many properties we saw. It was a lot. I know I made the Agent stop several times to buy water for us and never once did I need to wee. We lunched in a lokanta in Fethiye and had the best meal I had had all the time I had been to Turkey.

We saw properties that looked as though they had been designed by a coke-addled architect and thrown together by a pi$$ed off builder. Bedroom you cant actually stand up in? Tick. Balcony designed to withstand the weight of 2 mosquitos and a plastic chair? Tick. Black kitchens with red tiles and disco lighting? Tick.

We saw properties so beautifully cared for and obviously loved that I wondered how the owners could possibly bear to leave them. Vine shaded and expansive terraces with fridges full of water and Efes to hand. Gardens full of carefully nurtured fruit and nut trees and heavy with glorious, multi coloured bougainvillea. Turquoise pools shining in full sun and beckoning you in. Portraits of shy, smiling grandchildren watching as you climb Gran's stairs. Spotless bedrooms with bespoke, handmade pine furniture. Bedside table with a Tupperware box full of prescribed medicines. A walking stick adorned with a blue eye amulet. A pair of BHS slippers peeping from under the bed.

My Mum and I caught our breath stood on Jean's terrace in Uzumlu. Despite the heat haze, we could see for miles. Mountains, forests and a wide valley dotted with houses and patchworked with fields. A priceless view that no-one would believe until they stood there and saw it themselves. And silence. Real silence. Not even a murmur of breeze. The kind of silence that erases cares and stress and fills you instead with an unreal peace. I had a real moment stood there.

It scared me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf