Author Topic: Do We Offend Muslims?  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Do We Offend Muslims?
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »
Coming from a headline doing the rounds again about a council cancelling Christmas because it might offend Muslims...

Are British Muslims offended by these things? My experience is that they couldn't care less, it's the people who somehow get elected to positions of power who dream all this rubbish up.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Do We Offend Muslims?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
I haven't seen this headline yet. If it is as true as the "Winterval" headline then it will be absolute fictional claptrap. In relation to your question I imagine most Muslims will be as offended as I am about people celebrating Eid - that is, not in the slightest. Now if you had asked about this bloody new-fangled Halloween nonsense my view would be different.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
It could be said that we offend some muslims - and speaking locally (Scotland) the muslims that we do offend are a) in the minority and b) as much a pain in the arse to your average muslim in the street as they are to us. 

A few years ago a prospective labour candidate in the general election (who was a muslim local coucillor) suggested that the local (Asian) corner shops in Dundee should stop selling dog food with images of dogs on the packets/cans as it was offensive to followers of Islam. 

Net result..  he did not get elected and no dogs went hungry in Dundee. 

Maybe he just has a thing about dogs, or maybe he just wanted to play the "offended card"?  Make your own mind up:

This how the telegraph reported another of his "offended cards"

and this how the Muslim Public Committee for UK reported it

JF

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »
Christmas shouldn't be offensive to any right thinking person. However as a human being I found the hacking to death of drummer Lee Rigby (god bless him) in the name of Islam horrendous.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
No more than the average agnostic I would have thought.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »
It would I suppose be dependent upon who is included in the 'We', does it include, for example, any of these groups or individuals:

Gays people, atheists, agnostics, or just general non-believers, Christians (of various flavours including, but not restricted to Coptic, Asyrian, Catholic, 7 day adventists), Afro-Caribbeans, Sikhs, Jews (by ethinicty and ethinicity/religious,and whatabout zionists?) Buddhists, Serbs, Greeks, Croats, Hindus, Citizens and the leaders of the USA (both right wing and moderate), Richard Dawkins, Salman Rushdi.

I could perhaps go on but that's enough for now

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 13:12:14 PM »
Oh do go on, what about Jeremy Clarkson?? there must be a huge number of people who are offended by others daring to breathe!

Simple, in Saudi Arabia a good?? Islamic Country no Churches, No Temples, No Synagogues, no praying together ---- even have to take a long diversion around Mecca and cant use the Motorway as a non Muslim and if you break down have to sit in the car and wait, maybe for hours, in temperatures over 120f -- as you must not set foot on the Holy ground near Taif. Offend me?? bloody right it did, but I chose to go and live there so ........

So, Muslim chooses to come and live here -- same rule applies except we don't treat them like pariahs!
Most Muslims I know wish me Merry Christmas as I wish them Eid Mubarak and hate that we placate extremists! In fact a few come round for a drink with us, some teetotal --some not, well, that is between them and their God not me!

Now Halloween, Colwyn I will join you on the barricades to stop that utter nonsense! --- Bloody Yanks!  :)

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 14:29:07 PM »
I've never understood what a "British Muslim" is !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 14:35:27 PM »
It's a British person, who is Muslim.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 17:27:47 PM »
No it's not its a Muslim who is a British Person!  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf